Search

Park Regis Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 04:54 PM
Bob

Park Regis Hotel

In sydney for 5 days in Oct.99 considering staying at the Park Regis Hotel in Sydney <BR>any thoughts?? thanx

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Phil

I'm also looking for opinions on the Park Regis. Or another reasonably priced hotel with a (rooftop) pool. Anyone?

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 11:25 PM
Alan

Hi, Phil!<BR>I don't know anything about the rooms at the Park Regis, and I didn't even know they had a pool, but maybe the small amount I do know will be of help to you.<BR>It's a bit older than most of the "modern" hotels people write about on this site, even though the foyer has been given a revamp in the last few years, so it looks quite new... but the rest of the building may be a different story.<BR>It is not near the water... you will need to walk for about twenty minutes to see the harbour. Since that is what just about everyone comes to see, I don't often mention the Park Regis on this forum. However, it IS particularly nicely placed if you want to do a lot of shopping, or if you want to be close to a subway. It is very close to Hyde Park, to the Queen Victoria Building, The Town Hall, the Museum, and the George St cineman strip. All the best shops are within a five minute stroll. If you want to cut costs by buying food at a supermarket and bringing it back to your hotel (or am I the only person cheap enough to do that when I am on vacation?), then you will not do better, as there are two major supermarkets, plus David Jones' "Food, Glorious Food" basement, within a few minutes' walk. It's a good "medium" location, half-way between the water and Sydney terminal Station, and the people you will see around you will be the locals out for a shop, not a lot of other tourists. I don't know about rates, but because it's not in the main tourist section, it ought to be a bit cheaper than most of the others.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 12:41 AM
Rel

We stayed at the Park Regis in July for 5 nights. It is in the Entertainment Book in Australia and it cost AU$82.50 per night which we thought was brilliant value. No it is not near the water, yes it is only a 3-star hotel and no there are no views from the windows.<BR><BR>Yes it does have comfortable beds, clean linen, clean rooms, nice ensuites (the first room we were in had an odd-shaped en suite) with hairdryer and toiletries, tea and coffee making facilities and extremely pleasant front desk staff. <BR><BR>Yes it does have a swimming pool (on top of the building if I recall) plus a guest laundry. The pool looked fine - obviously we didn't use it, it was the middle of winter.<BR><BR>Horses for courses it was great value and when I return to Sydney I won't hesitate to stay there again.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Phil

Thanks Alan and Rel. Sounds just right. Rates from AU$ 110 at accomline.com.<BR>Appreciate the supermarket advice Alan (no, you're not the only cheapo). Thought the location would also be handy for Chinatown, I guess 15 mins walk? Any tips for eating on a budget? By the way, what's a beer cost?!

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Alan

Hi, again, Phil!<BR>Before you settle on the $110 price from the net site, do give the hotel a ring, will you -- their telephone is 02-9267 6511, fax 02-9264 2252 -- as you may be able to better that price with a direct approach. I was really happy to read Rel's excellent report, and his price of $82.50 is so good (not all that much more than the $55 at the nearby Criterion, which I often recommend, and you have to share a bath there) that I think I will start recommending it more often.<BR>Yes, ten minutes will have you in the heart of Chinatown, and that's where you will find a lot of cheap eateries, especially the two "basement" areas with the multiple food booths... towards closing time you can eat as much as you can fit on your plate for about six dollars. There are similar deals in some of the basement booths under the mid-city Grace Bros/Queen Victoria Building complex. And the Catholic Club right next door to the Park regis has a lunch-time bistro which is good value (amazingly, they don't open it for dinner!) No need to join up to get in... just announce that you are from out of town.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 05:04 PM
john

A beer ( a schooner of draught beer..half an imperial pint) will cost you around A$2.50 at the criterion public bar,maybe as low as $2 at one of those clubs but those trendy bars with polished timber floors will charge you $6.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:40 AM
Phil

Thanks a lot guys.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Mark

I latched on to this posting because we're also thinking about this hotel - seems like good location plus a pool for a decent price. <BR>Took up Alan's advice and contacted the hotel directly but got a rate of only 121 as opposed to the 110 that most websites quote. Tried to make it attractive by offering a longer stay but they wouldn't budge.<BR>As I also suffer from 'congenital parsimony' I also appreciated the tips for cheap living like the Catholic Club. Any more suggestions Alan?!<BR>PS I've been following this forum, particulary Sydney, with great interest for a while and have gleaned a great deal of second hand experience (what about Dimple's 'Australia trip report' - what an opus magnus!) for our first visit to Australia from 30/1 to 20/2. We're doing 1 wk Sydney, renting by car for about 10 days and taking in the Blue Mountains, Cowra, Canberra, down to Batemans Bay and following the coast to Bairnsdale, maybe Philip Island (but is it worth it just to see the Penguins or would the Alpine Route from Bairnsdale to Wangaratta be more interesting?), Great Ocean Road to Port Fairy then up North to Grampians Nat Park, and ending up in St Kilda (Novotel?) as a base for a few days in Melbourne and generally winding down before the trip back to the Netherlands.<BR>If anybody has any thoughts on this PS, please share them with us, they'll be most appreciated.<BR>BTW, it's minus 3c in Amsterdam at the moment and there's still a bit of snow around...

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Prue

Mark,<BR>How good it is to see that you are actually planning a trip that takes in so much of our diverse countryside - I am sure you will enjoy it all tremendously.<BR>I just wanted you to know that I am very near Cowra at present - it is over 100 degrees in heat and we are in the midst of a huge dust storm!! But I am sure things will have improved by the time you arrive!