Search

Site for Sydney Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:03 AM
laura

Site for Sydney Hotels

What is the best website to book accomodation for Sydney Hotels.<BR>I am looking for location near The Rocks for Jan 17th 18th 2003.<BR>Any recommendations would be great.<BR>Looking for great deals!!!!

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Merriem

I vote for the Park Hyatt. We spent 10 lovely days there during a January a few days ago. Shop around for rates, and e-mail the hotel directly as you can usually do better than hyatt.com.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.....you should stay longer. Two days is not enough.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 09:56 PM
Alan

Hi, Laura!<BR>The two "standout" American-type hotels around the Rocks are the Holiday Inn at the Rocks (don't book the one up in Chinatown by mistake!) and the one already mentioned, the Park Hyatt. Both of these are your standard "porter-at-the-door-waiting-for-their-tip" hotels, and both may be able to offer you a view to die for. Both are generally very expensive, as is another favourite (though not quite as well-placed, as you have to walk up the hill to get to it), Quay West.<BR>Easier on the budget, but only three storeys, so there's no view, is the Russell, which is a charming OLD building whose location is absolutely unbeatable: unless you can find a hotel IN St Marco's Square, or ON the Statue of Liberty, I can't imagine a hotel in the world that can beat this for location. However, it is not your American style accommodation: there's no air conditioning, which might be a problem in the middle of summer, and there is a staircase instead of an elevator. I would stay there in a flash if I didn't live in Sydney already, because of its ambience.... it's like stepping back in time 150 years.<BR>Another step back in time, and even further down in price, is the Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel, the oldest in Sydney. It's set at the back of the Rocks, in a very quiet area with old shops and houses all around it (and one of Sydney's oldest churches). You can get a double room and breakfast there for $AUD180, but I don't know about air conditioning (these old buildings had such thick walls and high ceilings that air conditioning isn't really an issue, but if you're not used to the summer heat of Sydney, you may want to make this a priority.) The Lord Nelson and the Russell both have websites where you can check the details for yourself.<BR><BR>I think one of these five will probably suit your needs, but if you have any special requirements, get back on to this forum and tell me in what way these ones are lacking, and I will try and come up with something to suit. Best rates? Definitely follow the advice above and contact the hotels direct. <BR>

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 10:26 PM
Paul S

Hi Laura,<BR><BR>You have already been given some good info but if you are after a website then I use the following:<BR><BR>http://www.hotel-reservation-australia.com/hotels_sydney.asp<BR><BR>You might be able to gleen some useful info on prices etc from this site.<BR><BR>Cheers<BR><BR>Paul S

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Merriem

Laura! There is nothing "standard American Hotel" about the Park Hyatt. I presume you have not stayed at the Hyatt. Well, in the 10 days we were there "no porter had their hand out for a tip". We had great service, a most interesting designed hotel, and a very relaxed and not pretentious atmosphere.<BR><BR>Not to discount the view, the location, and the fact that we could walk or take the ferry anywhere!<BR><BR>Just because a hotel has an American name does not mean they are even owned by Americans.<BR><BR>The Hyatt didn't get rated one of the to hotels in the world for nothing.<BR><BR>The Russell is noisy, in a decent location, and I think there was quite a long thread going on recently about that hotel. I wouldn't want to stay there due to the noise, and lack of A/C.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Merriem

Laura! There is nothing "standard American Hotel" about the Park Hyatt. I presume you have not stayed at the Hyatt. Well, in the 10 days we were there "no porter had their hand out for a tip". We had great service, a most interesting designed hotel, and a very relaxed and not pretentious atmosphere.<BR><BR>Not to discount the view, the location, and the fact that we could walk or take the ferry anywhere!<BR><BR>Just because a hotel has an American name does not mean they are even owned by Americans.<BR><BR>The Hyatt didn't get rated one of the top hotels in the world for nothing.<BR><BR>The Russell is noisy, in a decent location, and I think there was quite a long thread going on recently about that hotel. I wouldn't want to stay there due to the noise, and lack of A/C.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Merriem

http://hotel.sydney-australia.travelmall.com/<BR><BR>Just visited this website, and checked rates. The Russell in US was 150.94 for a double with private bath, the Park Hyatt was $222. I would strongly recommend anyone to spend the extra $75 per night and stay in a lovely hotel with big rooms, great service, and no noise!

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 01:43 PM
jacqui

If you are willing to delay booking until 10 days in advance then you can get some excellent deals from:<BR><BR>www.wotif.com.au<BR>

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Patti

Another site for late bookings is Needitnow.com.au and they do have some good rates. We stayed at Quay West and you can find them (or search on google for Mirvac hotels. We got a much better rate using the site. One thing particularly nice on quay West is that we had a full one bedroom apartment liv rm, din rm, bedrm, kit, laundry, bath and we watched the cruise ships glide past the Opera House and then under the Sydney Bridge and then looked at those bridge walkers going up and over the bridge. Their apartment hotel is truly marvelous and being on the 24th floor also helped!! The only problem with the Hyatt is that it's only 3 stories high and it doesn't offer that grand picture. <BR><BR>As far as hotel help in Sydney (or anywhere in Australia) everyone we encountered was first rate, courteous, and helpful. You'll come back wishing it was that way in the states!!!!<BR><BR>If you think you're listening to an Aussie wannabe, then you're right. I truly enjoyed every day there and can't wait to return.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 06:32 PM
rhonda

Websites which may be helpful:<BR><BR>www.wotif.com<BR>www.ratestogo.com <BR>www.au.laterooms.com<BR>www.hotelclub.net<BR>t ravelinoz.com.au<BR>sydney.citysearch.com.au<BR>ww w.jasons.com.au<BR>www.tourism.nsw.gov.au<BR>www.a tn.com.au/accom<BR>www.oztravel.com.au<BR>www.travelmate.com .au<BR>www.walkabout.fairfax.com.au<BR><BR>Enjoy looking through all these. <BR>