Packing light but for the weather this October

Sep 20th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Packing light but for the weather this October

Well, gang, our departure date is coming near (first part of Oct.) and trying to pack light but smart. How much should we bring for cool/rainy weather vs. for hot/sunny times? We start in Sydney and southward (Narooma and Canberra) and then go to Airlie Beach, then to Cairns/Cooktown. We were there in July in 2004 and never needed more than a light fleece jacket (and luckily didn't need the rain coat!) but just wondering if nights cool or some other thing that would make long sleeves and a fleece jacket necessary for the spring there? Thanks!!!
Sally in Seattle
Sep 20th, 2007, 06:34 PM

Hi, Sally. Springtime in Canberra isn't the most predictable of seasons, so I suggest you take a light sweater and jacket (you may need one or the other during the day, or maybe not, and possibly both at night). In Narooma you may not need either during the day, but probably one or the other at night.
Sep 21st, 2007, 04:18 AM

Sally,

Think about it!! July is winter: October is Spring.

So it follows, unless there is some mega-abnormal shift in temperature patterns, that it will be warmer
in October than July.

Of course, it can rain anywhere anytime. So pack an umbrella. But it won't be seriously cold, just pack that light fleece for a "cold snap" and you'll be fine.
Sep 21st, 2007, 01:09 PM

chimani, if you can't answer a question without exhibiting a condescending clever-Dick attitude, I for one would prefer that you don't bother.

It would help if you could have that English chip on the shoulder about Americans surgically removed.
Sep 21st, 2007, 06:24 PM

Sally,
It is still cool on the Atherton Tablelands. Had a coat on until 9am this morning. The heavey fog kept it cool. Out side now you would want to be dressed for summer.
Sep 21st, 2007, 09:38 PM

Pack light and buy a coat here if you need it. That time of year is very unpredictable. Maybe a couple of light layers.
Sep 22nd, 2007, 02:35 AM

Neil - I thought I was just being chatty to a regular poster. Perhaps your antennae were having an off-day. Or maybe you should have that Australian chip on your shoulder about the English surgically removed.

All the best.
Sep 22nd, 2007, 04:50 PM

Hi Sally

Forecasts for September 29 in Qld areas you mentioned are:

Airlie Beach/Hamilton Island: 20C-27C - sunny. Relative humidity: 62

Cairns: 18C-30C - sunny. Relative humidity 57 - Cooktown similar.

Near Cairns I'm still wearing a light longsleeve top at night, but coming from Seattle, you probably won't need to.

Water temp on reef yesterday was 25C which had locals donning wetsuits, much to amusement of Canadian visitors.

Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:30 PM

chimani, I don't know whether it's my antenna or your transmitter. Maybe it was the phrase "think about itquot; that got my goat - more often than not used as a put-down in my experience, but I'll accept that that's not how you meant it.

(The English-born half of my family would be surprised to discover that I have a problem with the English.)
Sep 22nd, 2007, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for the info Neil, chimani, Saltaurius, and Pat, and I didn't take offense, chimani--it IS pretty obvious that spring would be warmer than winter--but here it isn't always, spring can be horrible as well as lovely, so I thought to ask. We are just too excited about our upcoming departure! We are still trying to get the dates changed, Neil, but will stop trying on Monday, so will contact you then about places to stay (if any since it is the flori-something festival time) in Canberra. We are used to cool weather, especially this summer, but will still bring a bit of cool weather things as well as swimmers and t-shirts. Will have to practice my Celsius to Fahrenheit conversions, Pat, so I can understand the temperature forcasts!
Sally in Seattle
Sep 23rd, 2007, 04:31 AM

Sally - glad you weren't offended. I guess I can be a bit abrupt.

And I guess you are off to use your PADI certificate in warmer waters.

So have a fantastic time.