hotel in Auckland

Sep 22nd, 2007, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

hotel in Auckland

Will be in Auckland next weel. need imput for hotels. like small and interesting places.

Nadre

[email protected]
Sep 22nd, 2007, 11:10 PM

I also am interested in advice about lodging in Auckland. We will be starting the day of Nov. 17 in Tongariro and had planned to stop in Waitomo that afternoon and spend the night in Auckland. The next day is our only day in Auckland. Our flight back home departs at 7:15 pm that day. I had been looking into lodging that was centrally located in Auckland. The Best Western President was my first choice, but I just learned it's not available. I'm exploring Formule 1 and Aspen House, because we only need a place to crash for one night. However, since we will have a car, I'm now wondering whether it would make more sense to stay on the outskirts of town. Is parking easily available in town on a Sunday for siightseeting, e.g., at the Auckland Museum? Or would we be better off staying at a centrally located accommodation that provides parking? Recommendatons of specific accommodations would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sep 23rd, 2007, 08:11 AM

Both Aspen House ($129, which includes breakfast + $12.50 to park under the building) and Formule 1 ($75, no breakfast, + $10 to park across the street) have rooms. Any advice about which might be better? (As I noted, we just need a place to crash for one night.)
Sep 23rd, 2007, 08:26 AM

Actually I stayed at both last year. I preferred Formule One. It's ensuite, very comfortable beds, but the room is TINY. You will have your own little TV and bathroom. It has a good location for Central Auckland, near Sky City, however there are a few X-rated businesses immediately adjacent! Being on a high floor, it was quiet. Breakfast isn't included, but there is a cafe on the ground floor.

Aspen House, I stayed in the old wing, which may be not as nice as the new wing. The room furnishings were getting old, even musty, having not been refreshed since before 1990. The area around Aspen House used to be quiet, but there are many more high rise apartments and it was noisy at night. You will may a share bathroom (not sure what they charge for an ensuite), no inroom TV. Breakfast is included.

Neither one has on site parking.
Sep 23rd, 2007, 08:37 AM

Aspen House is just a little bit out of the central business district, there is also a pay lot at the end of the block where you can park for a few dollars less.

There is a loading area behind the Formule One where you can offload bags before using the Wilson parking structure, just down the street.

The Auckland museum has lots of parking.

On Sunday, provided you can read maps, you should not have any problem getting around town by car in the Central Business District. The road network is a little confusing and there are oneway streets, but traffic is not that bad.

ARe you looking on the wotif.com website? You also might want to look at the Quadrant. The location is a bit up a steep hill but you'lll get a lot more room for the money.
Sep 23rd, 2007, 04:08 PM

I ended up booking an ensuite room at the Aspen House; they say they have parking under the building for $12.50. The parking across the street from Formule 1 cost $36 and apparently isn't always available on Saturday nights.