Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris, first week of October: what kind of weather to expect? What should I pack?

Search

Paris, first week of October: what kind of weather to expect? What should I pack?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, this is another "what kind of clothes to take to Paris" thread, but I have never been to Paris in the early fall. Should I expect the kind of weather I would find in London at this time of the year? Or will Paris be warmer? Will a rain coat be enough?
I really don't want to carry too much as I will be on my way to India...
Thanks for you help!
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

topping it for help!
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 08:54 PM

Last year in early October I was comfortable in a fleece-lined waterproof jacket (though it only rained one evening), a cotton turtleneck, and black jeans. In the evenings, it turned nippy enough that I added an ear-covering hat and gloves.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 04:02 AM

It could be anything as you know. Take layers. I travel with a raincoat with no liner. We have been there often in October and it is usually cool. Last time we had 7 days of beautiful sunny weather, but DDIL bought a jacket at Richard Lenoir because she was chilly.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 04:23 AM

go to weatherunderground. They have a trip planner that allows you to plug in the dates. The weather may be all over the place so as the others have said- layer.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 04:34 AM

If you will only be there for that short of a time I think looking at the 10 day weather forecasts will give you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

It is generally good for layered clothing..always umbrella and light coat.

I will be there mid October and will be watching the weather in that manner. It has been unseasonably cold in Paris this summer..perhaps straighten out now and back to normal..

Enjoy.............
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips! I will definitely take my umbrella and rain coat (from Zara's, I love it!) and umbrella (and gloves and pashmina), and check the 10 day weather forecasts.

It is only three days in Paris this time, but I am really looking forward...
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

I have been looking for temperature averages for Paris in early October, and it seems that it should be around 17 degrees Celcius during the day, dropping to aroun 11 degrees at night. For me, who live close to the Equator, this is like winter, but I guess it is like regular fall weather in the North. I guess I will have to take a couple of cashmere sweaters with me...

Just a question: do you know if hotels turn on the heat at such temperatures? If not, I will have to pack my warm pajamas...
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 02:34 PM

For an idea of the weather, you should go to www.wunderground.com and click on "trip planner" in the top right part of the page. You can enter your city and dates and it gives you historical weather info from the last 10 or so years - very helpful for giving you an idea of what to expect!
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 08:11 PM

On the other hand, it could be a lot warmer, Brazilnut, it seems whenever I'm in Paris in October it tends to be rather warm, during the first half of the month, and then gets cooler towards the latter half, evenings would require a trench, jacket or something of this nature-but not a coat.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 08:51 PM

Hi

I normally check on http://www.weatherbase.com . Here you will find weather stats and that will give you an impression of what to expect. But do check the weather forecast before you go

Here is my Paris trip report with pictures and links: http://gardkarlsen.com/Paris_France.htm . I have also made an interactive Google map that might be of some help:http://gardkarlsen.com/paris_france_map.htm . I have put markers on where some of the attractions are located and you can click on the markers for more information

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 11:21 PM

Hi there, I am from Hawaii so I feel your concern! I was in Paris last year during the first week of October. You can see how we dressed here:
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/315374/index.html

I found the evenings to be a little nippy, but as you can see--especially the Familiathon/Opera photos and the Tuilieries photos, it was warm enough to go out with short sleeved cotton shirts and no jacket. In fact, I think the Tuileries day we got a little sunburned! It also got drizzly in between. I found this wildly varying weather to be the same in May/June as well.

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

HI there everybody:
Thanks for all the information. Gard and Melissa, these are great pictures! I am really looking for this stopover in Paris, as I will have 3 whole days to explore the city on my own. I have been there thrice before, but never solo.
I will be prepared if its warm, as I will be going to India as well. But I am trying to be a true "fodorite" and travel light: take as little as possible to leave room to bring souvenirs from India...
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 12:28 PM

I got really excited for you--will you be there for la Nuit Blanche?
http://www.worldeventsguide.com/event.ehtml?o=4320

The Montmartre Wine Festival happens at the same time:
http://www.parisvoice.com/index.php?...&Itemid=42

If I had to plan a fall trip to Paris again, I'd probably time it to fall within this event period!
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:34 PM

I like the BBC Country Guides because they give a nice overview of a country's climate. Then look at a particular city.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yyglgp

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Oh Melissa, I will miss both of these great events!!! I will be gone by Oct 3!
The problem is that I have to be in Bangalore, for a meeting, by the 4th. I wasn't even supposed to go through Paris, but as it turned out, Air France gave the best rate (from Salvador, Bahia, Brazil to Bangalore), so I decided to give myself these three days in Paris. I have been a good girl, I deserve them!

jsmith, thank for the BBC link, I am checking it!

But thanks for the links, I am looking up others to see if I find any other interesting events to attend while in Paris.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 06:19 PM

During the second week of October '06 when we were there it was very humid at times and warm. Nighttime was cool but not cold. It did drizzle half day once and then rained for one day too. So the weather can vary and this is typical any time of year. I suggest bringing layers and a water resist jacket.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 08:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If India will be significantly warmer than Paris you could ship home a small box with a few pieces of heavier clothes from the post office before you leave, to lighten your suitcase before moving on.