ozzie friends...why green and gold??

Aug 27th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

ozzie friends...why green and gold??

this falls under "travel" only in that the next time i travel to oz, i would like to be more knowledgable

why is it that oz colors in sport are green and gold, and yet those colors are not on the national flag? thanks.
Aug 27th, 2004, 02:45 PM

Good question kerikeri. I believe that green and gold were adopted as unofficial national colours because they reflect the native "wattle" (acacia) tree (which, by the way, is now blooming in brilliant hues of yellow all over Canberra).

Designing suggested new national flags is a cottage industry in Australia and many of them feature green and gold. However, none of them have gained any great degree of popular support. My personal favourite is the Aboriginal flag, which is divided horizontally into two fields, the top black and the bottom red, with a gold disc superimposed in the centre.
Aug 27th, 2004, 11:53 PM

I think Neil is correct with this. Wattle is the official floral emblem of Australia.
Aug 28th, 2004, 06:09 AM

this from the site

www.pm.gov.au

Green and gold were proclaimed Australia?s national colours by the Governor-General on 19 April 1984. Prior to the proclamation Australia had no official colours. Three colour combinations traditionally had claim to be Australia?s national colours: red, white and blue; blue and gold; and green and gold.

The colours red, white and blue were featured in the first Coat of Arms of the Commonwealth in 1908 and are the colours of the Australian national flag.

The colours blue and gold have heraldic significance as they are the colours of the crest in the 1912 (present) Commonwealth Coat of Arms.

The colours green and gold gained wide popularity and acceptance as the traditional national colours in Australian and international sporting events since before Federation and have been associated with many great sporting achievements since.

Depending on your political persuasion you may choose to believe it or not - perhaps it's worth asking "Honest John" if it is a core-truth or non-core truth!

Cheers,

Rob

Aug 28th, 2004, 10:51 AM

kerikeri,
Your question was only half-answered. The "gold" IS because of the wattle flower,(which explains why I'm sneezing. The darned things are in full bloom right now!) but the "green" actually represents the eucalypt(gum)trees. The leaves of most acacias(wattle trees) are generally more silver than green.

The "green and gold" is probably not the most fashionable colour combination. I agree that the navy blue, white and red colours of the flag would probably give us far more "dressy" options for uniforms.
But if we opted for those colours, we'd look just like the UK or the Americans. Or the French or the team from the Netherlands(minus the orange)!
Guess the green and gold just marks our "difference".
Our Olympians have never seemed to mind WHAT they wore. They've never openly revolted. I thought the 2000 uniforms (red ochre jackets, yellow shirts and eucalypt green skirts/pants) were wonderful. On the other hand, our 2004 Opening Ceremony "jackets" were just embarassingly awful. Bright green with huge white star prints. Very brash "look at me" outfits that were very un-Australian. The designers (as we say) need to take "a long, hard look at themselves". You just don't put Olympians in something akin to clown suits!
Hopefully, what is worn at the Closing Ceremony will be a little more stylish. It definitely will be "green and gold" themed. Toned down and more "Aussie"- hopefully!
Possum
Aug 28th, 2004, 09:39 PM

The designer is famous for design other than fashion and I believe this was his first foray into the fashion world. People who are into fashion say the colours will never be able to look good. For some reason it seems women especially find green a difficult colour to look good in.
Aug 30th, 2004, 07:05 AM

Peteralan,
Who WAS the designer of the jackets?
Possum
Aug 30th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

thanks everybody!

(and congratulations on your fine, talented olympians...esp. ian thorpe! )
Aug 30th, 2004, 05:00 PM

Hi Possum. His name is Mark Newson and he is very big in innovative design. He has a wide range of achievements in designing including furniture, kitchen stuff ( eg for Alessi )and even a Ford car! His efforts at fashion design have met with (to say the least)controversy.Cheers!
Sep 2nd, 2004, 11:41 AM

Possum
As an aside - research has shown that it's not wattle that triggers allergies usually -it's just that they're in full flower and quite showy at the time allergies come to the fore, so they cop the blame. Apparently the real culprit is some very non-descript grasses that flower at the same time.