Search

wildlife in queensland/NT

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wildlife in queensland/NT

We're heading to Australia for our honeymoon in august and my fiance loves wildlife. We plan on being in Sydney and probably some island on the GBR so we're trying to decide wether to stay in Queensland area or head to the Northern Territory to spot some creatures. We're trying to stay north because of the winter month and our whole itinerary is limited to 2.5 wks for work considerations.

It sounds like there are some pretty cool animals in both places -- lots of birds and a chance to see a platypus in Cairnes area or plenty of crocs (even the chance to go canoeing with them with Gecko Canoeing) in Top End. I think a 3 day trek/canoe/4wd tour would be nice so that we have a chance to see things at night as well. Camping is not a problem for us, but we'd prefer a guided tour for the extra info that we'd get.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Sarah
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 11:59 PM

Which one of the following would you like to talk about?

Australian Fauna

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Australia's very distinctive fauna includes 800 species of birds of which 400 are found nowhere else, 300 species of lizards, 140 species of snakes, 230 species of native mammals, and 2 species of crocodile. These unique animals evolved during the 55 million years that the continent has been isolated from other land masses.

There are two predominant kinds of native mammals in Australia, the monotremes and the marsupials. The monotremes are egg laying mammals; the marsupials give birth to young in a very immature state which are carried in a maternal pouch.

There are two kinds of monotremes; the platypus and echidna. There are hundreds of kinds of marsupials, including koalas, wombats, and more than 50 species of kangaroo. Monotremes are often called "living fossils" because they are egg laying mammals and are considered to represent the stage of evolution between reptilian and placental mammals.

Isolation also allowed for the evolution of exotic birds. Over 400 species of bird are found nowhere else, and the birds are as numerous as they are colourful. They range from the tiny honeyeaters to the large, flightless Emu which stands over two meters tall. There are 55 species of parrots in Australia; an early map by one of the earliest navigators suggested the Australian continent should be called "Terra psittacorum", Latin for "land of Parrots".

Kangaroos
The Kangaroo is unique to Australia and New Guinea, its hind limbs are longer than its forelimbs, it has a front opening pouch, and a large muscular tail. A baby kangaroo is only partially developed at birth, and must reach the safety of its mother's pouch unassisted. Kangaroos are extremely social animals, and travel in groups. >> For more information on kangaroos, click here.

Koalas
Koalas rarely leave their trees, and then it is only to reach the safety of another tree. Koalas mature slowly over a period of three to four years, once they are mature they are capable of reproducing every year. Despite heavy hunting, disease, and the loss of their habitat, koalas, now protected, are making a comeback. >>For more on koalas click here.

Wombats
Wombats are small, bear-like animals, with a large blunt head and short-legs. The female has a pouch containing two teats. The baby wombat is born in Autumn and weaned in the Spring. A slow animal, the wombat can sometimes obtain speed in a clumsy gallop. >>For more information on wombats, click here.

Platypus
The platypus can only remain under water for two to three minutes before it has to resurface. It is notable for its unusual appearance, and it is often regarded as the missing link between sea mammals and land mammals. It collects food from along the river-bed, and stores it in a pair of duck-like cheek pouches. >>For more on the platypus click here.

Echidna
The echidna is a small monotreme, with a long slender snout, short-legs, long spines, and sticky tongue, for the collection of ants. It is most famous for its bizarre defensive manoeuvre of digging itself vertically into the ground. The echidna lays its egg directly into the pouch, where it is hatched, and the young is kept there until the development of its spines. >> For more on echidnas click here.

Emus
Emus are the world's second largest bird, and Australia's largest. They stand 1.5m high and weigh up to 55kg. Flightless, they can run up to 50kph. It breeds from April to November, laying six to twelve eggs. Their nests are a circle of stone and grass. >>For more on emus click here.

Parrots
There are fifty-five Australian species of Parrots, more than a fifth of the world's parrot population. These colourful birds vary widely from region to region. Most have a strong hooked bill, and two claws, two toes in front and one in the back. Most nest in trees, but some nest on the side of cliffs, and lay two to four eggs. >>For more on parrots click here.

Crocodiles
Australia has two species of crocodile, freshwater and saltwater, and although their fearsomeness has often been exaggerated, they are a dangerous animal. Crocodiles are the closest living relative to the dinosaurs, and can out-run a man on land. It is not uncommon to hear about one taking cattle or horses, and they have been known to attack humans. >>For more click here.

Snakes
Out of the 2,400 species of snakes currently recognized around the world, 170 of them, in five families, are found in Australia and its coastal waters. The five families found in Australia are Blind or Worm snakes, Pythons and Boas, Colubrid snakes, File snakes, and Elipids and Sea snakes. >>For more on snakes click here.

Lizards
There are over 520 species of lizards found in Australia, out of these only one group of lizards appears to have evolved completely in the Australian region. The five main families of lizards are Geckos, Legless lizards or Snake lizards, Dragon lizards, Monitor lizards or Goannas, and Skinks. >>For more click here.

Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 12:05 AM

Oooppppps, I forgot the website so that you can click on the links and see more if you want.
http://www.austemb.org/fauna.htm
In North Queensland there are some animals that are not found in the rest of Australia - nice cuddly ones at that. I think possibly you would see more animals in the north of Qld than the NT - mainly because of the geography of the countryside and the diversity, but check out the web site for more info.
My favourite bird is the Palm Cockatoo which uses a stick to beat a tree like a drum so that other birds know that that is his territory. My favourite animal is the Sugar Glider which is soooo cute.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Great website -- thanks! I think we pretty much settled on QLD only last night due to the fact that it is cheaper in time and cost. Any recommendations for an extended wildlife viewing tour in the area then?

Sarah
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 12:39 PM

Darn! I had written quite a bit and it disappeared. If I were going and I had the time this is the trip I would do:
http://www.coralprincess.com.au/expe..._cape_york.htm
You get to see a lot of the coast, a lot of the islands, a lot of flora and fauna and although it may be expensive in some ways it does cover everything for that time. There are other tours like it in which you go one way by boat and fly back but this is the best one in my opinion.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 01:34 PM

Jonathan Munro is a world-renowned professional naturalist guide and you might like to have a look at his website at www. wildwatch.com.au. He does not operate "organised" tours but arranges personalised itineraries depending on people's interests. He visits a very wide range of different habitats in the far north and also has his own private highland rainforest preserve in the Cairns Highlands. We have had glowing reports from our guests who have gone out with him! He does anything from half-day to several-day tours and will pick up from your accommodation.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 06:17 PM

Hi ozwild - I second Daff's recommendation for Jonathon Munro - he's had about 16 years'guiding experience in Tropical North Queensland.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice -- we'll check it out!