One week around Sydney

Sep 27th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

One week around Sydney

We are traveling to Sydney from Coffs Harbour. We have seen Sydney CBD but have not done the environs near Sydney as we haven't had access to a car before so this time we are planning on doing day trips via our car. My brother is in a wheelchair which means much of what we see will be from the car, or viewpoints. We are staying at Meriton Bondi Junction. We are planning (although entirely flexible) a day down to Wollengong/Shellharbour area to see where my brother used to live and teach, a day in the Blue Mountains, and day over to Canberra, a day through Hunter Valley on our return to Coffs Harbour. Have done the ferry to Manly, Darling Harbour, the Rocks, etc... anything else in Sydney? Anything else for a day trip?
Sep 27th, 2008, 06:09 PM

You could make quite a nice 2-3 day round trip going down the South Coast, then across to Canberra from Batemans Bay and back to Sydney via Moss Vale, Bowral etc. Another option for the Wollongong trip is to come back through Kangaroo Valley, Bowral, Mittagong etc.

Otherwise, I can't think of anything that you haven't covered.
Looks like a great few days away.
Sep 28th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Will look into the Wollengong travel area.
Sep 28th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Google has a useful "get driving directions" function that I often use to check out times, etc.

As a rough guide, it gives about 6 hours Sydney - Canberra via WollOngong & Batemans Bay. But, of course, you'd want to make some stops and probably make an overnight stop somewhere. I think our South Coast is much under appreciated and the area around Kangaroo Valley and the Southern Highlands is really very pretty.

When are you planning to do your trip?
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your comments. Off tomorrow
Oct 8th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Bokhara,
We absolutely loved Berry, Kangaroo Valley and the Southern Highlands.
Definitely a highlight of our sojourns. Thank you for the suggestion!
Oct 8th, 2008, 02:50 PM

Oh Cdore01, that's fantastic! I'm so glad you went that way & enjoyed it so much. I think it's one of our little "hidden gems".

If you stayed en-route, I'd be interested in where & what the wheelchair access was like. I have a friend who was diagnosed with MND two years ago and we're keeping an eye out for interesting places which will still be open for her when she eventually has to get into a chair. Fortunately, she's doing much better than expected and is still well & truly ambulatory.