AU Automobile License Plate

Oct 10th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

AU Automobile License Plate

My husband collects license plates from everywhere we have traveled. We will be in Cairns and Sydney in November, 2008. I was hoping someone could tell me of a place where we could buy a used license plate while we are there. Ideally it would be a Tropical Queensland or Great Barrier Reef one. Thanks!
Oct 10th, 2008, 04:27 PM

It is kind of illegal to sell standard vehicle registration plates(we call them here Barbara)for they're supposed to stay on a vehicle and then be handed in to the state motor registration branch if a vehicle is being disposed of unregistered without a road worthy certificate if that is occurring, reasons for it being to
1. prevent plates falling into hands of criminals to use on a vehicle in crime.
2. protects an owner in disposing of the vehicle when unregistered.

Application of the law isn't always as it should be though and Hub could drop around to some car sales or wrecker yards in Cairns to see how he goes.

There are also sites like that Mr Plates (special ones very expensive), the trading post or eBay you could check on - http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...cr%3DcountryAU

Co-incidentally, my wife had brought home from the Library a movie called "The worlds fasted Indian [with a Kiwi aboard], aka Anthony Hopkins, and some connection there, there being a lot of sheep and lambs in New Zealand, not being too silent - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burt_Munro - a good movie to watch

and reason it came to mind is that in one scene he is road testing the Indian on a Nevada Highway (no speed limits apparently), gets pulled over by an interested cop who is happy enough to belive the Indian Rocket without plates is registered in New Zealand.

Anyway, back to the plates I also just remembered about a fell of a vehicle one that reads "Queensland - Sunshine State" I found some time back and as luck would have it, the wife had not put it out with junk.
Other than the Q-SS across the bottom it is just a plain green on white plate and as an authentic souveneir should be, it is a tad tattered from hitting the road at some stage and probably being driven over a bit.

Let me know if you're interested in a freebie.
Oct 10th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Bushranger - thank you for your kind offer. I would love the plate! If we come across one of the fancier ones, we'll just add them both to our collection!

Also, thank you for the correct terminology. I'm sure it will help in the search.

I loved "The World's Fastest Indian". I never noticed the car didn't have plates - good catch. The Bonneville Salt Flats are in my home state of Utah.

Please let me know what arrangements you like to make for the plate.

Thanks again!

Barbara
Oct 11th, 2008, 01:17 AM

What I could do Barbara is just post them to "Barbara from Utah, USA" Post Restante, GPO Cairns (Post Restante if you're not familiar with it being a system whereby letters/items can be posted to a PO that will usually hold them for people for up to a month)

or just thought of it, an alternative could be the cruise company there you're using if you want to blab that here

Or if you go to australiaforum.com (easy to register) and post something, I should recognise it and they have PM facilities for a more definitive addressing.

BTW, if your part of UTAH is a bit dry looking - the salt flats (had a look on google earth) are humungus - you'll love the tropical green green growth even if it'll be humid and if even just a couple of hours to spare, Cairns has the best compact Botanical gardens you'll anuwhere and alongside, a 15 min Gwonwanaland walk adjacent and across the road a lovely lowlands forest boardwalk and adjacent Gwonwanakland and Mt White track start, check out old WW2 oil tanks being converted for community use at arts centre.

Cheers
Oct 11th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Bushranger - I think leaving it for us at the cruise company is a brilliant idea. We leave November 17 for a three night cruise on The Spirit of Freedom. Paula Syer is the person in the office we have been dealing with.

I won't tell my husband about it, and it will be a fabulous surprise! Thank you so much for your generosity and kindness.

We are absolutely excited about visiting Queensland when it is humid and green! I'm about 100 miles from the Salt Flats at the base of the Rocky Mountains. We are mostly a desert state, but do have beautiful mountains. http://scenicutah.com. The 2000 winter Olympics were held here. Perhaps you could visit sometime!

It will be winter here. The ski resorts in the nearby mountains will have just opened. So warm tropical air was just what we are hoping for.

Thank you again! Is there something from the USA or Utah that I could bring to thank you?

Barbara
Oct 11th, 2008, 02:45 PM

No problems Barbara, will get it organised.
Oct 11th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful! If you think of something you'd like, feel free to let me know.

Search this Thread