One more day on the South Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am begining to listen to all the posts that argue against driving all the time just to see everything wonderful on the South Island. So, if I have one more day to squeeze in should I add it to:
1.Abel Tasman for a day of hiking after the day of kayaking
2. In the Te Anau area to do more hiking after our tour w/ Trips n Tramps which will actually take us on a hike enroute to Milford Sound
3. Break up the drive from Franz Josef to Te Anau w/ a stay in Wanaka and a hike there.
Oh, it is hard to decide.
Also, does anyone have advice on the heli hiking. Frommers says it is one of the great things to do in the world and it would be a splurge for our budget, but if it is really fantastic I'd like to spring for it.
And, one more thing, is it worth the cost to take the tour to Milford? It sure would be nice to have someone else drive!
I will be traveling w/ my two adult daughters but I am sure I'll be the main driver.
Can't wait for some good advice!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:46 PM

I would vote for #2 but I haven't been to Abel Tasman.

YES the heli-hike is WORTH IT! It was one of my top 3 favorite things from our month in Sydney, NZ and Fiji. So glad we did it.

We drove to Milford and back. We couldn't decide whether to do the tour or not, and the drive was fine. The bus would be fine too if you need a break though. Sorry, I'm not much help on that, LOL.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

I am glad to hear the drive to Milford was not bad. Did you stop to hike along the way? I was thinking of taking a smaller tour - I think it's a bus for 12- to Milford. I will keep the heli hike in. Many thanks for your thoughts!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:13 PM

We stopped at Mirror Lakes for some photos (5 min walk from carpark) and at the Chasm for the short hike (on a paved path) of about 20-30 minutes?

If I were you, I would wait and see how you feel before booking a tour. If you're up for driving, it's nice to have flexibility and not have to follow the group. If you're tired of driving, you can book the tour.

Either way, you will have a FANTASTIC time with your daughters! Please post a trip report when you return and let us know how it went
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 04:41 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Personally, I'd add that extra day to the Abel Tasman area.

We took the helihike to Fox Glacier and it was the highlight of our trip - especially since we'd been unable to take the it on three previous visits due to poor weather. If the weather is good and the choppers are flying, the view from high on the glacier is just incredible - all that glacial blue - so much prettier than from down below.

We've driven to Milford a few times, and personally I'd much rather drive than take a bus anyday, but it really comes down to your personal comfort level. The drive isn't difficult, but all that gorgeous scenery can be a bit distracting.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Dear Mel:
What excalty would you do with a) one day in Abel Tasman or b) two days in Abel Tasman? The Awora (sp) Lodge and the like are two dear for us to stay in.
Thanks for the encouragement on driving to Milford SOund. With three drivers it should not be a problem. Any advice on the best cruise option?
Once again, thanks so much for your help.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 10:41 PM

Well, if it were me and I were kayaking one day as you plan to, I'd leave another full day for walking. I'd either arrange a water taxi to take me into the park and then walk back to my starting point(or vice versa) or I'd arrange to walk the track between two sections (the track is tidal - check tides before heading out).

OR, I'd drive over Takaka Hill and walk a portion of the track from Totaranui (actually I've walked a portion from both sides - I'm not a multi day walker, but prefer 3-5 hour walks).

OR I'd walk north from Totaranui around the headland (it's possible to walk in either direction from Totaranui). I'd probably stop for a meal and a glass of wine at the Penguin Cafe in Pohara while in the area.

OR, I'd stop at Waikoropupu Springs (near Takaka) and take one of the walking tracks there. I'd probably stop for a nice curry at the Wholemeal Cafe in Takaka for dinner.

OR, I'd take a drive to Collingwood (north of Takaka), continuing on to Farewell Spit where I'd pop into the Visitor's Center, walk down to see the whale skeleton and maybe take a stroll around the area. I'd then head to Wharariki Beach, take a short hike and look for seal pups playing in the pools and adult seals basking on the rocks.

OR,I'd take the five hour Farewell Spit Nature Tour from Collingwood.

OR, I'd head to the start of the Heapy Track and spend a few hours walking there.

OR... about thousand other things. There is just SO much to choose from, especially for people who enjoy walking and the great outdoors.

I've never been near the Awaroa Lodge (we're more "moderate" travelers) but have read good reviews. The nice thing about places like Abel Tasman is that you can stay very near the park - you don't have to stay in it.

As far as best cruise options....no idea which is the "best", but we took Red Boats on our last trip to Milford. The bigger boats seem to cater to the bus crowd and are WAY too busy for the likes of us. We chose a smaller, less crowded boat and we didn't even book (off season though) - we just walked up and got on the next cruise. Real Journeys seems to have a stronghold on Milford and I think they operate all the big boats, but seems I read somewhere that they now also offer some smaller boat options as well.

Same route, same fiord, same scenery.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:59 PM

Melnq8 is right on with comments and some extras that I know nothing about. We took the water taxi out to the lodge and hiked back along the track on a nice 2.5 hour hike which ends on great beaches - not a hard walk. I think your daughters would love ending the trip on the beaches after being in the mountains. Also, there are some great wineries not far from Nelson.

The road to Milford is extremely twisty. Other than that it's easy to drive. The two stops to get out along the way are mentioned above and are fun. Stop outside of the creepy tunnel and wantch the falcons play with your car. There are amazing stops along the way and short hikes to cool things. We liked the Red Boat tours because they go you closer to the cliffs and the shore.

Yes the helicopter is worth it. Shop around in Franz Joeseph and book a day in advance or so. It was definately worth the money and we will never forget it.

If you choose to hike in Te Anau, You can walk part of the Keppler track which has beautiful rainforested cover.

Check the i-site at each location you visit or on the web before you go. They provide an awesome service.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:10 AM

Regarding the boats on Milford Sound.
I don't know why people seem to think that it's less crowded on a small boat.
Surely a small boat with 60 passengers is going to be more crowded than a large boat with 60 pasengers.
The larger boats operated by Real Journeys and Red Boats carry upwards of 400 passengers. The smaller boats operated by Mitre Peak Cruises, and Cruising Milford carry about 60 passengers.
Under NZ marine regulations commercial passenger boats must have a minimum seating area (450mm) for every passenger, and this is how the carrying capacity is arived at. So regardless of the size of vessel, if they are full they will be equally crowded.
All companies cater for coach tours, and at peak times they will all be full to capacity. At other than peak times you will have more room to move around on a larger boat.
How close to the rocks do you want to go? THe sides of Milford Sound are vertical. Even the largest boats can put their nose on the rock wall, and have 2000 feet of water under the stern.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the great ideas. Seems like there will be no shoratage of opportunities for great activities. One last question which seems basic and, well, rather ignorant: how do I access the i- site info for each area?
Thanks again!
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 04:37 PM

You'll find I sites all over NZ - they're well marked - just follow the signs.

If you want to research in advance, check out this site:

http://www.newzealand.com/travel/i-s...sites_home.cfm