Critique my winter SI itinerary please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2004, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to some helpful advice, our itinerary for the South Island has been narrowed down...I think.

Keeping in mind that we'll be traveling in early July, how does this itinerary sound?
Day 1 - arrive Chirstchurch - overnight in Chrtistchurch
Day 2 - morning Tranzalpine to Greymouth - rent car & drive to Franz Josef - overnight Franz Josef
Day 3 - Franz Josef to Haast to Wanaka - overnight Wanaka
Day 4 - Wanaka to Queenstown - overnight Queenstown
Day 5 - coach trip to Milford or Doubtful Sound w/ cruise - overnight Queenstown
Day 6 - Queenstown to Mt. Cook - overnight Mt. Cook
Day 7 - Mt. Cook to Christchurch - overnight Christchurch
Day 8 - flight home

Both the hot springs and whale watching sound like things we'd hate to miss but I can't seem to fit them in. Would anyone recommend skipping Mt. Cook and flying from Queenstown to Christchurch and then taking two days to go to Hamner & Kaikoura? Does this schedule sound tight?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 08:10 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Much better...

Keep in mind you're not leaving yourself much time for activities in Franz Josef. If you're planning to hike or take a helicopter ride onto the glacier, you may not have time (you'll be at the mercy of the weather too).

You're also not leaving yourself any leeway for Milford Sound (just in case the weather is bad the day you plan to go). I realize you don't have much choice though, given your limited number of days.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend skipping Mt Cook to see Hanmer Springs or Kaikoura. While they're both nice places to visit, Mt Cook is on the "must see" list for first time visitors. Since you're in the vicinity anyway, you're better off going there than trying to squeeze in Hanmer or Kaikoura.

NOTE: I've visited the South Island five times now, and I have yet to do more than stop for lunch or gas in Kaikoura. I realize it's a popular stop for some, but we've never been inclined to stay long. Hanmer Springs is a popular weekend getaway for folks from Christchurch, especially when the weather is nice. We didn't get around to visiting there until our fourth trip.

Hopefully, you'll have other opportunities to visit and you can see more then.

Have a wonderful trip. If I can be of further help, feel free to contact me at [email protected]
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Jed

We are planning a similar itinerary.

Melnq8 - "Keep in mind you're not leaving yourself much time for activities in Franz Josef. If you're planning to hike or take a helicopter ride onto the glacier, you may not have time (you'll be at the mercy of the weather too)."

Question - We think that we would like to take the half-day walk on FJG. Could this be done on Canadian Traveler's Day 2, or 3, in the morning, before going to Haast?

I would love to see Mt. Cook, but driving from QT to Mt C and from Mt C to CC is a long distance, each 4-5 hrs.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 06:44 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Jed -

Yes, it could probably be done on Day 3, as the drive to Wanaka is about 3 hours and 35 minutes (no stops). Problem is, the weather, especially in July when Canadian Traveler will be there. If the weather is bad and the hike is cancelled, they won't have any spare time to reschedule.

Having said that, I have no idea if the hikes are cancelled when the weather is bad. I know the tour companies provide ponchos and the like, so they may go regardless. The helicopter trips are dependent on the weather though. We visited the glaciers four times before we were able to take a helihike, and we stayed three nights each time.

I doubt they could do it on Day 2, as the Tranzalpine takes half the day, then the drive from Greymouth to Franz Josef takes about two hours and 15 minutes. The helihikes operate in the morning and in the early afternoon, and I suspect the guided hikes do as well, so I doubt they'd make it to Franz Josef in time. The days will be shorter in July too.

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 02:27 AM

Hi, CanadianTraveller,
Just bear in mind school holidays in NZ are from Friday 2 July to Sunday 18 July, so my advice would be to book everything asap.
I agree with Melnq8 - don't miss Mt Cook. My husband and I went there for a quick visit in January, and it rained! I haven't been there for over 20 years so was disappointed. However, next day it was fine. It is such a beautiful place, and a great drive through the countryside. You will enjoy the drive from Greymouth to Queenstown. Do join everyone else you will see stopping at the Haast Bridge - well worth a photo session around here.
Enjoy the trip - it is a very beautiful part of New Zealand.