Search

New Zealand in the Winter

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Zealand in the Winter

Hi! I'm planning a solo 2-week trip late July and could use any advice on where to go and what to bring.
Thanks!!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 01:41 PM

Nanaye

If you could be a bit more specific about what part(s) of New Zealand you are visiting (or intend to visit) that may help with responses.

For instance, do you like the snow or bush walking, maybe long beaches.

Even though New Zealand is not that large the climate and conditions vary quite dramatically from North to South.

Steve
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Of course, my mistake!
I'll be going to Auckland, Wellington, Hamilton, and Dunedin. So any rec's on those locations will be greatly appreciated!!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 02:12 PM

Righty

That gives me something to work with.

I assume you will be flying into Auckland. I have attached a link which will help you out with visitor enquiries.

http://www.aucklandnz.com/

In Auckalnd there is plenty to do a nd see. Kelly Tarltons underwater world is a good spot to catch up with marine wildlife and well presented as well.

If the weather is nice, get a ferry out to Waiheke island and visit a few wineries and sample some great food. A good venue is Mudbrick cafe which has its own winery, some great food and an amazing view back over the city - best seen at sunset.

Within the city bounds there are many beaches. I note that you will be here in July so swimming is out of the question unless you like your seawater really cold. The beaches however are greta to visit all year round. On the west coast the beaches at Piha, Muriwai and Bethells are stunning. They are black sand beaches and the seas there often run fairly heavily so lots of crashing surf.

Auckland is built on 50 odd volcanic cones (they are extinct or at least dormant) which can give you a greta view of the city from the top. The better ones to go up are Mount Eden and One Tree Hill. The other 48 are not bad either.

If you are into shopping then Auckland has plenty of oportunities. I just listed them on a reply to the Aukland (sic) thread.

Moving South to Hamilton

http://www.hamiltoncity.co.nz/home.html

I do not know a lot about the local attractions even though I only live just over an hour away. It does have a very good looking river flowing through it and it is not too far away from the Waitomo caves. i would go through the website to find out more.

Wellington next
http://www.wellingtonnz.com/AboutWellington

A great city,never had a bad tiome when visiting there. It has a vibrant nightlife centred on but not limited to Courtney place. There is always live theatre on offer. The museum, Te Papa is excellent. It has displays which show all aspects of New Zealand, warts and all. It is easy to spend the best part of a day in there and whats more entry is free.

The coastline around Wellington is stunning. The City itself is built on steep hills with houses seemingly hanging on. It is a very compact city as well and easy to get around. Good spots would be Mount Victoria, the botanical gardens at the top of the cable car, the Karori (?) bush reserve. Locals will help you with exact locations.

Across the Cook Strait from Wellington on a three hour ferry ride is Marlborough. A very picturesque part of New Zealand and the centre of the wine industry. If you can see if you can spend a couple of days there.

Down to the South, Dunedin. Great city. Ilived there for five years while I was at University. the city is very focused on its educational establishments. Out of a population of around 110,000 about 25,000 are tertiary students.

The city has retained alot of its old architecture which helps give it a feeling of stability and history even if it is only around 150 years old.

The visitors centre in the Octagon in the centre of te city can help with any and all trips and sightseeing.

Highlights would be a cruise out on Otago harbour down to the harbour mouth. The albatros colony at Tairoa head. Viewing the yellow eyed penguins out on Otago Peninsula. A train trip on the Taieri Gorge express up into east central Otago, very spectacular views.

http://www.cityofdunedin.com/city/home.html

These are just starting points there are so many more things to see and do.

As far as what to bring, I assume you mean what clothes to wear. As July is one of the coldest months I would suggest you bring warm clothing but in layers. Some days can get quite mild and here in Auckland it is not uncommon to get up to around 20 degrees celcius during the day. However on the opposite side it can sometimes snow and not get above 5 degrees in Dunedin.

Wellington is notorious for its wind so make sure your jacket is a windproof one.

In the north in particular, days can start out very cold with a touch of frost on the ground but by lunchtime it is tee shirt and jeans weather. Be prepared for it all.

Reminds me of one day in Dunedin. At 12 O'clock it was 20 degrees. When I came out of the lectue at 1 it had dropped to about 6 or seven. Half an hour later it started snowing. So go figure sometimes you just have to be prepared for everything.

Hope some of this ramble helps.

Ask away if any other questions.

Steve
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 03:51 PM

Nanaye:

We found our convertible pants to shorts useful for fall in Australia. Perhaps a polartec version exists for winter in New Zealand.

A/D

Ps Steve I notice you make the same typo I consistently do: greta for great.
What does this mean?
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:17 PM

AndrewDavid

And here I was thinking I was unique, greta eh.

(Maybe in a past life we were Garbo fans)

Don't know why but I always do it.

Steve
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 02:45 AM

Hi, Nanaye,
Kiwi-acct has given you some great advide, but I must take issue with him over the supposed Wellington wind!! It does get windy here, but no worse than any other place in NZ. I think the place in Karori that K.A. mentions would be the Wildlife Reserve, the name of which completely esapes me at present!
I remember the ferries and islands in Auckland with fond memories of my Training College days in the 60s! Certainly worth a visit.
Another place in Dunedin to visit would be Olveston House ,if you have the time. It is an incredible house, built in 1900, and way ahead of its time. And do go up Baldwin Street - it'll kill you but is worth it! Whatever you do, enjoy our country.