Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Off to Queenstown on Saturday - starting to get excited

Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

So there are 21 of us heading over for a week of snow skiing, sight seeing, dining and wining. I have been so busy lately I haven't had much time to think about it really but today I'm getting those little anticipation butterflies in my stomach.

We will all be staying at the Lakeside Novotel (with lake view rooms). The definite dining restaurants are - Botswana Butchery - India Once Upon A Time and Sombreros. I have printed off my previous request here about restaurants and intend to go to a couple on that list as well. I"m not so fussed on Indian or Mexican but when you're a group of 21 you really just have to go with the flow so that's okay.

Snow skiing is going to be interesting - I've never been a sporty person but since my weight loss journey, which began in January last year my personal trainer has really got me to a point where I feel confident to go ahead and have a solid go. I have tried once before but I just get so chicken when it comes to actually going down those slopes. I hope I can overcome that fear this time - I'm certainly fit enough for it - we've been doing solid leg work for about 4 months now - so it will just be the fear factor - fingers crossed.

Anyway, I'm going with a great bunch of people and we've been friends for about 35 years now and we do a lot of things together as a group so a good time really is assured. Let's hope there's plenty of snow oh and of course plenty of wine for this lot!
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 04:31 PM

Is India Once Upon A Time new or have i just missed it on my prebious visits? I'm always on the look out for new Indian restaurants, would love to hear what you think of the place.

Have a great trip Stormbird.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Yes I was surprised Mel when our friend chose that one - I had passed on your recommendation but will definitely let you know what we all think!
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 03:19 PM

Have a great time Stormbird! And tack side to side rather than going straight down until you feel more confident.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 03:48 PM

I hope you get this before you put your skis on. I don't want you to hurt yourself. I have carried too many people off in stretchers.

If all else fails and you can't stop. Fall/roll onto your hip. Too many people land on their coccyx. It is very painful and you won't sit for a week.

Your friends and some instructors will tell to "bend at the knees". This is only partly true. Keep yur knees over your toes by bending at the ankles pushing your shins forward. Bend your hips so you are slightly squatting. Your shoulders hips and ankles should be in a line, with knees over your toes.

If you only bend AT the knees your backside will stick out and you will not be balanced. Loosen the top of your boots if you need to. It will feel strange but will help.

At the ski lift be confident and don't panic/stumble.Slowtwisting injuries are common in the lift queues.

If in doubt pray to Patron saint of skiers - Bernard of Montjoux.

If you go on one of the lake trips in Queenstown and they ask you why there is deep hole in the lake bed. Tell them a galacier swirled a boulder the size of a house in it, like a stone in a river's pot hole.

The little historic mining town near Queenstown is worth a visit.As are the other lakes.

Have a safe trip.

Peter of Sale(Vic) (just is case your paranoia was showing again - leave it in NZ)
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 06:28 PM

Hope the weather is okay, heavy snow is forecast over a lot of the South Island this weekend.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 08:03 PM

Take a lesson!!