Reload this Page >

Best of South Island sights in 7 days??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:13 AM
KC

Just wondering if it is possible to cover the best of the south island in 7 days. Thinking of 3 days in Christchurch where we will be making day trips to Kaikoura and Akaroa and maybe one other place. After which we are thinking of driving either south or west. Can we reach all the way to Te Anau and cover the Fjordlands as well. We are hoping to see the glaziers & Mt Cook too. It is our first trip to NZ.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:06 PM
Gus Mitchell

We just returned from a month in NZ and I would suggest you cut your Christchurch visit to one day -- we loved most of the towns in NZ but not much in Christchurch.<BR><BR>Roads are good but driving is fairly slow due to winding nature of the roads <BR>so don't try to do too much.<BR>Watch out for the one lane bridges.<BR><BR>I would go south to Dunedin -- nice "colonial" town with interesting architecture ( very much like Edinburgh in Scotland )Trip out to the penninsula is worthwhile.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 01:57 PM
John

KC:<BR>Disregard the above post. You're on the right track with your thinking. Make that one other place Arthur's Pass. Go by motor coach and return by train. Sit on the north side of the train. The scenery is breathtaking.<BR>Christchurch is beautiful and so much to see and do. When you get there go to the visitors center at Cathedral Square for help and tour tickets.<BR>John

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 03:24 PM
sonia

listen, if you dont have little cities where you come from, by all means check out christchurch but personally when you are in New ZEalnd, I think it is almost criminal to bother with it at all! NZ is the most awe-inspiringly beautiful country and there are too many natural wonders to even begin to see them in a lifetime!<BR><BR>I have done the S.Island in 5 months, 3 weeks and even 7 days on separet trips...<BR><BR>In 7 days, my plan would include...<BR><BR>1.Drive from Chrsitchurch to Mount Cook in one go (about 5 hours if i rememeber roightly but a gorgeous easy drive taking in Lake Tekapo and pUkaki). Stay the night at Mount Cook which s stunning at any time of year.<BR><BR>2. Drive from Mount Cook to either Queenstwon or Wanaka - Queesntown is busier and bigger, Wanake is kinda sleepy depending on whether you go during ski season or not. They are both towns set in the most spectacular locations on azure lakes with mountains all around. Take a trip on the lakes, do a bush walk etc etc...they are both heavenly places.<BR><BR>3. Drive from Queesntown/wanaka to Te Anau, stay the night here and do an evening trip to the glwo worm caves. Next morning set off early to Milford Sound and do a cruise. Drive from Milford Sound back to Wanaka and take in Lake Hawea. Stay wanaka/Hawea<BR><BR>4. Drive from Wanaka up the West Coast to Fox and fRanz Josef Glaciers. Theser glaciers are stunning and you can walk to them or on them depending on your courage!. Stay at either Fox or Franz townships.<BR><BR>5. Drive from Glaciers to Arthurs Pass...again stunning alpine scenery, forst walks etc etc. Stay here<BR><BR>6. Head back to Christchurch.<BR><BR>Of Course, i have no idea how you feel about driving...my personal fellings are that I dont mind driving for several hours on NZ becasue the journey is always so spectacular anyway and ther are thousands of little walks and gorgeous secluded forests,waterfalls etc to stop at on the way...<BR><BR>Drop me an line by email if you'd like any more ideas...<BR><BR>Sonia

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:30 PM
KC

Thanks Sonia. Exactly what I had in mind but need to see how much we can cover in 5 days other than the 3 at Christchurch. We think we can cover the city in one day and basically using it as a base for day trips. My husband is on convention there (so no choice but to stay put for the 3 days) and I'm travelling with children aged 3-10. So, I think your itinerary sounds interesting. Still have to work out details but will email if I need more info. Thanks in advance.You have been most helpful.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:09 AM
kathy

Sorry KC, you will never see the south Island in 7 days, not 17 or even 27, it is much larger than you imagine once you start driving round and stopping at every awe inspiring piece of scenery. Choose a portion and cover that in more depth, I think you'll enjoy your stay more.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:47 PM
John

KC:<BR>We visited Christchurch for three days in in 1999. Went back for ten days in 2000. It's ludicrous to think one can enjoy that beautiful city in 3 days. You have been misinformed if you think you can.<BR>John

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:42 PM
Patti

KC<BR>We did the South Island in 7 days and there is a lot of travel involved. If you drive to the glaciers (I only say if cause I would recommend a helicopter or plane trip to them) stay in the village - do NOT stay outside the Franz Josef village as there is no transportation into the town. In simple terms, outside the village NO dinner. It happened to us. It takes about 9-10 hours to get from Queenstown to the glaciers. and then it takes another 6 hours to get to Greymouth by tour bus. The roads are windy and narrow and it is one L OO O ONG ride!!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 11:17 PM
KC

thanks for everyone's contributions. this is exactly why i have written to sought advice etc on the forum board - simply becaue everyone has such idverse views and it does help when making the final decision in planning an itinerary.<BR><BR>of course, i would like to stay longer. a month or two if possible but we all have our own contraints. with what i have, i'm trying to enjoy myself the best i can. i will certainly take into consideration all inputs given. <BR><BR>actually, after reading all yr comments, maybe we should skip the southern part of the island this time round and stop at Mt Cook and concentrate on the area around there and the northern part of the island. it will be a bitter disappointment for me because i have been wanting to visit milford sound for as long as i can remember.<BR><BR>the helicopter ride over the glaciers is an interesting option. can anyone tell me if i can hop on one at mt cook and how long is the flight? is me young 3 yr old able to come along??

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Patti

Plrease don't cancel the southern part of the island. Queenstown is a great little town and you will truly enjoy it. If you do a search for the glaciers and mt cook I know that you'll come up with a number web address to get some info from. There is also a helicopter that can be taken either to Milford or return from Milford. Since we were the unknowledgeable (dummies) we took the bus. As I said earlier - it is long, long, long. But you can get helicopters and small plane trips to both the glaciers and Milford. It could be enjoyable to take the tour bus one way to Milford and plane/helicopter on the other. If you are taking children I can also offer a thought for your stay in Queenstown. We stayed at Hurley's Inn and they have apartments there. One apartment has 3 bedrooms (sleeps 5) and a great view of the Remarkables. The place was really clean and the king-size bed was super comfy. Hope this helps - last month was also our first trip to NZ/OZ. really great!

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Patti

I wanted to add that Christchurch is a beautiful city. The children might enjoy the Antarctic Centre and there's a great artist/crafters area in the old college (right near Oxford)<BR><BR>We also took the Tranzalpine train back from Greymouth to Christchurch and that is a beautiful vista and a very comfortable ride. It goes through Arthur's Pass and then on thru 16 tunnels. Keep asking questions - we did.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 10:54 PM
Steve

We had more than 7 days and couldn't cover it all but you can check out our trip at www.wanderlust2002.com and see if it helps you choose things to do or skip. Have fun!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 11:23 PM
Richard

Hi KC<BR>Would you like at see some photographs that we took when my wife and recently toured the South Island. You could have a look at the photos and then come back to me with any queries you may have.<BR>I also have a travelogue.<BR>If interested email at the above address <BR>BTW I live in Christchurch.