Search

Queenstown 4 days - what to do ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Queenstown 4 days - what to do ?

Hi,

We (couple in late 20s, no kids) will be in Queenstown for about 4 and a half days in November 2004. Looking for recommendations on what some of the must-sees and must-dos are around here.

We like nature and scenery and also sports (but not too extreme like skydiving or bungee).

Any recommendations will be most useful. Thanks in advance !
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 04:12 PM

I did hang gliding and loved it. Really wasnt scary...except the part about jumping off the mountain, but it was so peaceful. I've never done Bungee or Skydiving because it seemed to extreme on my body.

There is also a steamboat that goes across the lake..i think called the Earnslaw. You will get beautiful views of the surrounding mountains. Also I believe they have mountain biking in that area which I heard was cool.

Have fun! Queenstown was my favorite destination in NZ.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks alliegator - do you recollect where you went hang gliding and maybe you can share their web site with me ?
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:04 PM

You can hang glide off Bob's Peak, the hill in Queenstown that you take the gondola ride up to. A great trip to the top of Bob's Peak with wonderful views of Queenstown. You can also parasail over the lake - where the slogan is "fly high, stay dry." When I was there, I did two jetboat rides - the Shotover Jetboat and the Dart River. Both are great. The Shotover is closer to town and goes through a rock gorge, while the Dart River trip is near Glenorchy (where much of the Lord of the Rings was filmed) and is in a beautiful mountain landscape. I hope you are also going to get down to either (or both) Milford Sound and Doubtful Sound. The best way to see the sounds (actually fiords) is by staying at Te Anau.
Martha
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:51 PM

Yes I took off from Coronet Peak which was the highest point you could take off from because I had to take the ski lift to get up there.

The company I went with was called Antigravity. They had a good website but it must me down at this time. http://www.antigravity.co.nz/

I really felt safe with them! The guy I flew with had been doing this for like 15years. Keeping checking their website to see if it comes back up.

Also you might try flying over to Milford Sound one day if that isnt on your itenerary already.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:08 PM

Some vineyards around Qjueenstown are worth a visit.

If you are interested in a little history, take the very pleasant drive to Arrowtown, one of the original gold mining towns in the area, first being settled in 1862. It boasts one main street, but that includes the Lake District Museum that not only covers the gold mining era, but also includes a display of New Zealand's first hydroelectric plant, built in 1886.

For more stunning scenery, drive along the north shore of the lake to Glenorchy and lunch at the local Pub. Glenorchy is the area where much of the Lord of the Rings was filmed, and it is truly brilliant scenery. A little further down the road is Paradise, but the road is unsealed from about a kilometre short of the pearly gates.