NZ North Island

Mar 22nd, 2019, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

NZ North Island

Were thinking of a trip to The North Island by hire car for about two weeks in early May. Weve previously been to the South Island twice, once in winter and once in Spring.

I love the dramatic scenery of the South Island and would happily go back, but weve never been to the NI, which is why were thinking of it.

I wonder though if Ill be disappointed by the scenery. I love the glacial lakes and mountains in the SI and I gather the NI is nothing like that.

Would other people go back to the SI for a third time, or give the NI a chance?
Apr 9th, 2019, 12:24 AM

North or South island

Hi there I see nobody else has replied so i'll give you my thoughts.

We live in Auckland but have travelled extensively in both the North and South Islands. I agree with you the views in the South Island are stunning but the North Island is great as well in a different way. Coromandel Peninsula has beautiful beaches and bush. From Opotiki around East Cape to Gisborne is stunning . Napier, Hastings and Havelock North, Art Deco and full of vineyards also a good trip to the Albatross colony ( overland only at the moment) We just had friends from Canada here who took this route and loved it.
Have a look at a few photos and don't hesitate to make contact if you want more detailed info.
Apr 9th, 2019, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Wombat

We have actually changed plans and aren’t doing a NZ trip this year. We think perhaps February next year will be drier than May, so have put off planning until later.

We will go to the NI though. I did a bit of research and parts of it look lovely. My husband has also found some cycle trails he’d like to do there.
Apr 10th, 2019, 11:29 PM

Yes that would probably be drier in Feb. no guarantees with NZ weather though. We go on lots of cycle trails. Timberlands in a popular one.
timberland.co.nz
Apr 11th, 2019, 11:01 PM

Bay of Islands is stunning as is the scenery above Auckland. Lots of good stuff to see in the North Island.
Apr 13th, 2019, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

OK. Thanks.
Apr 15th, 2019, 05:41 AM

i will visit soon
Apr 17th, 2019, 08:40 PM

I haven't been here in a few weeks, but we spent 10 days on the North Island in 2004 and it was wonderful. We spent time in the Bay of Plenty, Mt. Ruapehu, Mt. Taranaki, Wellington, Waitomo, and Auckland.

Lee Ann
Apr 17th, 2019, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Yes, those places look lovely.