NZ Departure Tax

Old Feb 6th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NZ Departure Tax

Does anyone have any tips on paying the $25 departure tax (departing from Auckland Airport)?

Is it true that if you pay with a credit card, it will be processed as a 'cash-advance'? Thanks.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 02:35 PM

This is what I found in my research (we leave tomorrow!...if the snow subsides).

"New Zealand departure tax is $25nzd and payable by cash or credit card at the BNZ (Bank of New Zealand) office at the airport after you check in. Children under 12 years of age (except Wellington which charges NZ$10 for children) and transit passengers in New Zealand for less than 24 hours are exempt.

Once you have paid the departure tax the bank puts a little sticker on the back of your ticket as your receipt. You can also use this opportunity to change the last of your New Zealand dollars to your next currency.

If you find large lines at the BNZ, there are now self service machines that lets you pay your departure tax and gives you a receipt that does not come with a sticky back, so you can't stick it to the back of your ticket (don't lose the receipt)"
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 11:29 PM

I've never waited longer than a couple of minutes to pay my departure fee and I always leave for overseas from Auckland. Don't worry about it.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 10:03 PM

You are right. It will be treated as a Cash Advance by the self service machines. And their website and machines won't tell you this! This is the most disgusting thing I've ever seen!

Remember to carry cash for the departure tax if you don't want to pay surcharges and high interest to your credit card company.
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 01:41 AM

Auckland is one of the worst airports in the Pacific. Very badly designed with passengers having go to great lengths and incovenience to transit etc. Paying Departure Tax at Travelex outlets or BNZ is outrageous as all they really want to do is change your money and get their commission. The only good thing about the airport is the duty free where some great bargains can be had, due to the better NZ dollar exchange.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:16 PM

Downunder

Great lengths and inconvenience, what on earth are you talking about?
Auckland is one of the better designed airports and I have been to many, especially in the last two years. Many countries have a departure tax so don't know what your gripe is, ours is quite low compared some other cities.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM

I just returned this week via Auckland and was quite impressed with how well laid out the airport is. After checking in, pay your departure fee. There are signs everywhere so you should have no problem. Before you enter security there is even a large poster board with pictures of what you need to have. We had $25 NZ left in cash and paid the other with our "no hassles" "no outrageous fees" credit card.

Many countries have a similar fee. It just seems to leave a bad taste in people's mouths when it is the last thing you do in a country. NZ wouldn't get such a bad rap about this if the fee were just tacked on to the airfare. It's no big deal.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 05:39 PM

Here's my tip - having just returned (we departed from Christchurch so it may not necessarily apply to Aukland)...

Pretty long line to pay the departure tax (I am guessing 20-25 minutes based on how quickly it was moving when we were in line) when we were there; however, after about 5 minutes of being in line, someone came through and advised that if anyone was paying by cash, they could be handled at the security check point...a time saver to pay in cash.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 09:42 PM

Auckland Airport came 2nd in Australia / Pacific category for the 2007 International Airport awards and won the overall award for staff friendliness for what it's worth. There are self service terminals now that you can put cash into to pay as well as credit cards. I've yet to spend more than 5 - 10 mins paying departure tax. just dont lose your little receipt!