UK credit and debit cards in NZ

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if the UK chip and pin credit and debit cards are accepted in New Zealand? I hope to use my debit card (Maestro - used to be switch) to withdraw money from ATMs, if possible.

Thanks Maria
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 07:08 AM

I am off to NZ next weekso asked at my bank about Maestro.
Yes you can use it but you have to pay a 3.50% fee of the transaction value. The lady advised me to put money into my mastercard account so i would be in credit and take money out of that as it works out cheaper!
i really am not sure what to do for the best.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 10:57 PM
HVH

Hi Maria

we are of to NZ and Oz (and SE Asia coups providing) later this year and looked into the money issue.

As Carylspall says, it can be quite expensive to use your switch debit abroad so we've opted to open a Nationwide account and withdraw and pay cash for as much as possible as they don't charge on withdrawals abroad.

For bigger things we've got a Nationwide credit card as that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee either (which many do - beware) and we can set up a standing order to pay off the balance from our current account every month - although it's 0% for 9 months so we could pay it all off when we get back with no charge.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 02:22 AM

Wish I had time to do that, HVH - good advice!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

I manged to find the following on my bank's webite (HSBC) - not quite as bad as the 3.5%

"There is a handling fee of 1.5% (minimum £1.75) for withdrawing cash at Cirrus/Maestro cash machines overseas. Foreign exchange rates are shown on your statement against each transaction inclusive of an exchange rate adjustment, currently 2.75%"

I assume I can pay for most hotels, restaurants, petrol, shops, etc, using Visa?

Also does anyone know the current NZ$ vs £ local exchange rate in NZ - Marks and Spencers are currently offering 2.751 over here. I know it can change daily but wondered whether it was better to change a reasonable amount before I go, or when I arrive.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 04:03 PM

You might like to consult the Bank of New Zealand's site to get an idea. Try: http://www.bnz.co.nz/Personal_Soluti...22-815,FF.html

It suggests that the rate currently offered here is pretty similar.