NYE fireworks in Sydney and transport system

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be coming the whole way from Europe just to stay 8 days in Sydney over NYE ! 3rd trip to Sydney but never for NYE.
Our hotel is located in Miller Street, North of the Bridge because I considered that the view from the north shore should be better, having the view of the bridge and the FRONT of the Opera House in the same picture ! Am I wrong ?
McMahons Point seems to be a good place, but it is behind the Bridge and probably a picture of the Bridge would come with the 2008 number taken on the reverse side ? Maybe Cremorne Point is even better ?? Whatever place we will pick I ams also wondering what kind of public transportation is working after midnight to go back to the hotel. We have 2 kids aged 12 and 6 and would not walk for too long if we decide for another Point somewhere else or on the south shore.
Any suggestion ? Do buses, trains and taxis run after midnight ? From Circular Quay only or also from the north shore ?
We are very excited and would like to get the best out of it !
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 04:19 PM

Use your search engine to find nye sydney 2008. I just read a brochure on it and there are various options to view the fireworks .Also search City of Sydney Council which may have details of help re transport
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 04:45 PM

Fabio...where are you on Miller st?
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

thank you JohnFitz !

johhj: we are at North Shore Hotel, 310 Miller Street. Hotel staff told me it is about half an hour walk to McMahons Point but our intention would be to go a bit further east of the bridge towards Cremorne Point for a better front view of the Bridge and Opera House but all depends on transpot means.... we could not walk so far I guess !
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 06:39 PM

Fabio

Cremorne Point and for that matter any harbourside location gets extremely busy, most people wanting a good position will be arriving there sometime in the afternoon, so I suggest not leaving it to the last minute to arrive.

Your best bet is taking the 225 bus from Neutral Bay, here's a map, its about a 15 minute walk from your hotel

http://www.sydneybuses.info/commonpd...map/225map.pdf

You want to get on it, just to the right of B, its called Neutral Bay Junction and has a Starbucks and I think an ANZ bank beside it,

The problem will be getting back, if the buses are not working, then it is an extremely steep walk up to the main road, Military Road. If your fit then you can certainly walk back to your hotel, probably about 40 min - 1 hour walk

Another option would be to see if the ferries will be working after the fireworks and then go back to Circular Quay and then take the train to North Sydney.

I would also suggest that you ask at your hotel about viewing the fireworks from across the road at St Leonards Park, just next to North Sydney Oval. Here's a link to an event that is being held at the place but it is a public park so you don't need to attend but it is an option, with food, beer and more importantly toilets.
http://www.norths.com.au/default.aspx?id=26
Scroll down to
NEW YEARS EVE 2007 @ norths Bowlo!

You could check out the view the day before and it would certainly make it very easy to get back as its only about 400m away

Geordie

Old Dec 7th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Hi Geordie

Thank you very much !

Yes, the problem will be getting back and our kids would be a bit tired to walk all the way.

I contacted the 131500 who wrote me back that information about the extra transport services will be available closer to the event, but there will be ferries from selected location after the fireworks back to Circular Quay so I could get another train from there, if available, to North Shore as you suggested !!

Thanks for the link to the event. I will check it carefully