November in Sydney need hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving in Sydney on the last day of the World Cup and need accommodations for one night only. Found the Holiday Inn, Darling Harbor at $240 which I know is ridiculously high. From what I've read on this forum, it's not very nice.
Any suggestions about other options or aren't there any? Thanks!
Old May 7th, 2003, 03:39 AM

Check with www.wotif.com which offers 2 weeks in advance booking and have good price. But I guess you may need to pay exceptionally higher price during World Cup week.

Here are some good hotels at reasonablly priced:

The Four Points Sheraton, Darling Harbour Crown Plaza, Merchant Court,

Daisy
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:21 AM

Hi, Judyann!
The Darling Harbour Holiday Inn is certainly not particularly-well located (but, then again, that could be said of all the hotels around Darling Harbour; this one, however, is possibly the worst-located of the lot, flanked on one side by Chinatown and on the other by the Entertainment Centre), but I'm sure that once you're inside it would be just fine. I presume you've checked out the OTHER Holiday Inn, the Old Sydney Holiday Inn at the Rocks, which is as beautifully-located as its sister is not, to see how the prices compare.
For a cheaper alternative, try the Lord Nelson Brewery, just up the road from the GOOD Holiday Inn; if it hasn't put up its prices for the World Cup, you should get a double there for $AUD180. It won't look like a Holiday Inn, however: it's the oldest hotel in Sydney. Also check the elegant old Russell, just down from the already-recommended Four Seasons. The suggestion by daisyho to check wotif is a good one.... World Cup notwithstanding, Sydney is so flush with hotels at the moment (a legacy of the 2000 Olympics) that it's hard to imagine there won't be empty rooms up for grabs. Good luck!
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:30 AM

We have stayed at the Marriott, and we are booked in to the Waldorf apartments in Dec.
Waldorf does seem to be reasonable and its not a comonly known place.

Muck
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your responses. I will check out these accommodations (some I have already and they're fully booked). Will also remember Wotif. By the way, the $240 is US dollars and is for their least expensive room.