Holiday Inn -- Old Sydney / On the Rock

Old Feb 7th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holiday Inn -- Old Sydney / On the Rock

I just made reservations at the Old Sydney Holiday Inn -- is that the same thing as Holiday Inn On the Rock?? Hope so -- I picked it from reading some of these boards and liked the location. Thank you
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 03:27 AM

Hi, jandb!
As we Aussies say, "she'll be right, mate!" Old Sydney Holiday Inn is the correct name, and it's not on a rock: it's in an area known as "The Rocks", and you have chosen wisely. The Rocks is to Sydney what the French Quarter is to New Orleans, and the Old Sydney Holiday Inn is one of only three hotels which are sited in the heart of the Rocks. It's not a hotel with a view...while very modern, it's only six storeys tall, in keeping with the character of the surrounding century-old buildings. But you are right in the heart of everywhere you would want to be, less than five minutes' stroll from the ferry wharves, five minutes the other way to the walkway across the Harbour Bridge. The other two hotels in the immediate area are very different in character; The Russell is a traditional old boutique hotel in a century-old (at least!)building, and the Mercantile is a rowdy Irish pub well regarded by the drinkers around the area. The Holiday Inn, however, is... well, it's a Holiday Inn, and a very pleasing one. You should have a great time, especially if you can score a room that overlooks the old lane which houses the Puppet Theatre and the Toy Museum. Try asking for this... it looks like a scene out of Dickens' London.
Have a great time!
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 01:06 AM

Hi,
Just thought you would like to see this website.
http://www.viewsydney.com/index3.htm
It is the Sydney Harbour port authority live webcam.
I am pretty certain that one of the 2 controllable webcams casts an eye over the rooftop pool of the Holiday Inn, when taken right over to the right hand side.
You may already know of this site; I love it.
Anyway I hope its of some interest
And you may see Alan having lunch at Doyles !
Muck
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 04:00 PM

That'll be the day, Mucky! My budget runs to Coles Express when they let the hot take-away go at half price around 6 p.m.!
Actually, that's not why I chimed in here again... it was to say thanks for that Port Authority website tip... I didn't know about that, and, acting on Mucky's advice, I have just spent ten minutes trying to operate it. Not very successfully, but I think I get the idea. Couldn't get the Holiday Inn, but lots of nice views of the Hyatt (that curved four-storey building running around the Harbour foreshore, nearly under the Bridge). I would second Mucky's recommendation to visit this site and have a bit of fun looking at Sydney Harbour (is that "live", Mucky?)
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 12:13 PM

Hi Guys,
Alan I reckon it is "live" although I have no real way of telling from here in Wales UK.
Perhaps you should stand by Doyles and get someone to watch you .
When we were in Sydney last year, one of my missions was to find the camera. How sad is that !!
Anyway I found it, its in a dark coloured box on the roof, the box looks a bit like Ned Kellys helmet..lol
Anyway if you select camera 2 and go as far to the right and as low down as possible, I am pretty certain that the Holiday inn pool is what you see.
I love this site

Cheers

Muck