Search

North Island- New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2003, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North Island- New Zealand

My wife and I plan to spend 7 days in the North Island (2-3 in Auckland,2 or 3 in Rotorua). Any suggestions for a change or different itinerary?? We are seniors , most interested in history and culture; travel by car, bus or plane is OK.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 10:28 AM

Hi Flatbush:

While we aren't seniors it sounds like what we did last month (2 days Auckland, 2 days Rotorua, 1 'unplanned travel day' & 2 days Wellington) - our 'travelogue' (with a few pictures) is at -
http://travel.masterpiece-cs.com

Hope you find it of some value,

Z
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 02:22 PM

Instead of 3 days in Auckland, consider a trip to Russell and Waitangi north of Auckland. For history buffs this is sure to be of interest as this area was the place the Treay of Waitangi was signed and Russell was originally the capital city of NZ.

Rotorua is only a few hours drive from Auckland so you won't be too far off track if you head north for a day or two.

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 06:54 AM

I agree with Christa--spend less time in Auckland and travel north--as far as possible. We spent 10 days on the north island (on a family vacation) last year, and the best part of the trip was the time we spent in "Northland". Whatever you decide, you will have a great visit. Enjoy
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 10:52 AM

When we did that trip, last Jan., we spent a night in Napier. This charming town, with interesting history, is just 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. west of Rotorua, if I recall correctly. The entire town had been wiped out [I believe it was 1932]by an earthquake, and so, was all built in art deco, which was the 'in' thing then. We stayed at a wonderful small hotel, I believe called the County Hotel. If you are at all interested, I'll look up my info. It is on the west coast, and the drive there was an experience in itself, along the Thermal Hwy. The name speaks for itself.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 02:39 PM

I agree with the others who said, if you like history, go north to Paihia, Russell & Waitangi for a day or two. Then when going to Rotorua take the route via Thames (Coromandel Peninsula) where there is a goldmining history. This won't leave time for Napier, but Napier & nearby Hastings are different experiences - beach, fruit & wine mainly. Happy travelling, Tony
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 12:56 AM

Napier is east of Rotorua, south to Taupo from there and then directly to Napier. If only a week I would consider easier and less stressful driving than the northern area, I would never consider Russell for only a weekend, it is a windy road and hilly and takes longer to get there than it appears on a map. I would suggest Auckland - Thames - Whangamata - Waihi - Tauranga - Rotorua - Taupo - Waitomo - Auckland.
This would give you a lot of diverse scenery, places to visit and some NZ culture as well.
You can do it leisurely and just stop a night in any of these when you have completed your sightseeing for the day. this way you won't feel so rushed.
Put up a google search for these places and you should get lots of sites to research their attractions.