COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Auckland for 2 full days - what to do?

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Auckland for 2 full days - what to do?

Hello! We'll be in Auckland for 2 full days leaving 4pm the 3rd day onto the Cook islands and was wonder what the best use of our time is. Should we just stay in Auckland the city or do you think we have time to explore other cities near Auckland where there's more natural landscape? I think there was an area on the east of Auckland although the name isn't coming to my head right now. What do you think? Also where do you think is a good location to stay while in Auckland? I've read about the Parnell district. Is that a fun area to stay? Thanks in advance for your replies!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 07:05 PM

With one of the days take a trip to Waiheke Island - well worth it - vineyards, art, beaches, cafes
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:08 PM

Are you thinking of the Coromandel Peninsula?

You could easily find enough to do in Auckland for two days, or you could use a day to go to Waitomo or Rotorua or the Coromandel.

What are your interests?

Lee Ann
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:49 PM

You could also take the ferry over to Rangitoto Island which is a scenic reserve but originally a volcanic island - there are lovely views of Auckland/the Gulf when you reach the summit. We did a day trip up to the Coromandel - again beautiful coastline, but it was a long day.
We stayed in Ponsonby at the Great Ponsonby B&B which was recommended on this site and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it to others. The owners are very knowledgeable and offer plenty of advice where you can visit. There are many nice cafes and restaurants on Ponsonby Road - very popular with the residents of Auckland.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your helpful advise! Yes I think I was thinking about the Coromandel Peninsula! I remember seeing it in a travel book but didn't have it in front of me for reference. I'm glad all these little side trips are available near Auckland! We are interested in exploring the city Auckland but also want to see some of the natural landscapes and beauty of New Zealand without having to go too far like to the South Island where most of the scenary seems to be. I like the suggestions listed below so thank you and I will do more research on those places! Also if you know a great place in Auckland to stay that that would be great as well. Thanks!
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:25 PM

The Coromandel peninsula is very beautiful, there are some great beaches around too, especially on the West Coast near Auckland, but I would definitely recommend staying in central Auckland, otherwise you'll spend all your time in a car...

- someone else already mentioned the Great Ponsonby B&B which is really nice and is probably my pick because it's so close to central city without all the noise and traffic - plus very attentive, personal service - they'll always give you heaps of info and suggestions for your trip, and the breakfasts alone are worth the price of the room!!

- also there are some really interesting, quality shops and places to eat and drink round Ponsonby.