nocturnal wildlife tours in north queensland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm starting to think about booking a few tours for our upcoming trip in September/October.

We are wondering what experiences anyone has had with "wait-a-while" and with "wildwatch" (with Jonathan Munro).

Our goal is to go on an afternoon-into-evening rainforest tour. We would hope to see some of the more elusive wildlife (platypus, various marsupials--a bowerbird/nest, maybe a riflebird--I'm not sure if sunset would be a good time to catch the birds as they are going to bed??).

Anyway, I'm not sure what would be best for us. We will have already spent a day on our own touring the "attractions" in the Tablelands (such as Lake Barrine, the Catherdral Fig, Mareeba Wetlands, etc.))--so our goal is to really concentrate on the wildlife while we have an experienced guide with us.

It looks as though Jonathan Munro concentrates his tours in his own private reserve. How does this work out?

Anyway, any input would be much appreciated!!
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 01:08 PM

Hi, caligirl, we went with Alan Gillanders at http://www.alanswildlifetours.com.au/
He took us around (in our car) all day to see the day-active platypus, birds at the sites you mentioned in the Yungaburra area, and then the night spotlighting tour for the marsupials. We didn't see a cassowary (darn it) but did see a lot of other birds including the bowerbird and some rare ones that I can't remember right now. Alan is very personable, knowledgeable and his prices are VERY reasonable. I recommend his tours highly. It was so wonderful to have a tour custom made for what we wanted to see (the day time). I know that if Alan is available, he can custom a tour to what you want so that you can do the parts you want on your own and then go with him. The night tour was with a few other people, but was still great. It was at the wooded part of a farm where the marsupials usually hang out.
Happy planning!
Sally in Seattle
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 05:11 PM

Alan operates close to Yungaburra and the tours are usually finished by 2130. He is you best chance of seeing tree-kangaroos. Wait a while and wildwatch operate at high altitude where there is the greatest variety of possum species. With Alan you will probably be limited to two species but with the others you may see four or five. Alan's animals are habituated enough that sometimes they can be viewed closely.
The advantage of wait a while and wildwatch is that they pick up and deliver to Cairns whereas Alan does not run a commercial vehicle and the tour is conducted on foot. The late return of the buses is mitigated by being able to snooze on the bus.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the answers. Alan sounds great!

What about seeing a platypus? Does Alan guide in an area where they might be seen?
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 08:18 PM

I know for a fact that Alan can show you platypus during the day. He does not guarantee them but then he is rather conservative about such things. They can be seen in the early morning and late evening in many of the creeks of the Atherton Tablelands including where you will meet Alan for his nocturnal but the light is not so good then.

I saw one there two nights ago when taking a constitutional and a green ringtail possum at the Curtain Figtree during the day yesterday.

I'd book soon as all three of those operators will be very busy at that time of year.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 08:20 PM

Just re-read your OP caligirl56,
suggest that a half day and nocturnal with Alan will be right up your alley. Might be a bit rushed though to get the lot in that time.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Saltuarius,
Thanks so much for your help. Sounds great!
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:10 AM

Alan's day viewing place is really good for platypus. We also saw them in the creek that runs through Yungaburra in the early eavening, so good luck! And may you see a cassowary!
Sally in Seattle
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:41 PM

We also went out with Alan, and I really wanted to see platypus. He came through and had wonderful looks at them in the daytime.

He's really knowledgeable and personal, so we really enjoyed the time with him.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:41 PM

Well, I meant to say personable!

Yikes
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 01:09 AM

Toucan2,
I'll tell Alan's wife!
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 02:45 PM