Search

Mosquitos love me!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mosquitos love me!

Will I need Off or other insect repellent in New Zealand? I've been in other parts of the world that did not have mosquitos, but if there is one in the Southern Hemisphere, it will find me.

Any advice will be most sincerely appreciated.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 07:57 AM
ALF

It depends on where you go, and the time of year. I too, seem to attract mosquitoes - and have certainly found a few traveling through NZ. The worst conditions seem to be in near coastal areas during the late Spring and Summer (Nov-Feb). I have certainly experienced far worse mozzie conditions in places like New England and Minnesota/N Dakota/Ontario. Actually, the thing to worry about more are nasty little sandflies, which are more aggressive, and have a worse bite than mosquitoes. We had some awful days on the west coast of the South Island, particularly around Haast, the Glaciers, and Fiordland. You basically could not be outside at dawn or dusk.

Deigeh nisht! NZ is great, and I would not let a few insects put you off, but you will need some DEET-style insect repellant.

Al F.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 09:06 AM

FWIW, I've read anecdotal "evidence" (or at least some claims) that taking Vitamin B supplements also can help repel mosquitos... something about the bugs not liking the smell the vitamin produces on your skin.

I have taken Vitamin B for several days preceeding, and during, recent trips where mosquitos are found, and have been mostly spared.

May be just an urban legend, but it works for me.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:51 AM

Probably is something in the Vitamin B legend. Most Kiwi's, and Aussies eat Vegemite, a black, evil looking spread high in Vitamin B, with their toast, and it does seem that we are not so bothered by mossies or sandflys, but that could just be because we are used to them.

Mossies will only bother you at night, so you should use Deet, or Dimp if you are sitting outside. Mossie coils, which you burn, are also good.

Sandflys are actually mis named. They are bush flys, and will be found anywhere there is native bush. (You may also find true 'sand flys' on some beaches, and in Australia, but they are smaller than the NZ sand fly).

The way to avoid them is to cover up; long trousers, and long sleeves, and socks, and smear repelent around your neck and on the back of your hands. Don't put the repelent on your forehead, or sweat will carry it into your eyes, and you will really know what pain is.

Sand flys don't like bright sunlight, and they don't come out at night. They do love warm overcast days, especially if the humidity is high. The easiest way to avoid them is to keep moving, they don't fly very fast, and keep wiping them off your head and neck with what is locally called the "Milford Wave"

Some people have acute allergic reactions to mossies and sand flys, and they should take special precautions, and carry medication in case they get bitten.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

If I had to eat vegemite to ward off mosquitos or bush flies, I think I'd opt for the insect bites!

When we traveled around Australia two years ago, my niece's 4th grade class was studying Australia. (My niece is the teacher.) I sent them emails from every stop and bought books, poster, CDs etc for the class and I sent them a jar of vegemite. They have advance two grades now, but whenever they see my niece, they remind her about the "nasty black stuff" that I sent.

Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:53 PM

The trick with Vegemite is not to smear it on thickly - a few microns is enough. It's actually used as an excuse to eat toast with lots of butter. Personally I can live without it, which might explain why mosquitos love me too.

When it comes to strange foodstuffs I suspect we're all living in glass houses. For that reason I'll tactfully avoid mentioning treats like white sausage gravy and boiled peanuts (US), haggis and deep-fried Mars Bars (Scotland), roast silkworms (China) and maggot-infested goat's cheese (Italy - Sardegna).

And as for snails - as someone said, no matter how much garlic you put on it, a snail is still a slug without a shell.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 01:58 PM

If you're a "mozzie magnet" like me, I'd say take some "Bushmans" just in case. Also, some Telfast or similar antihistamine to calm any bites you do get.

I've heard of the Vitamin B6/ B12 preventative, too. A highly allergic friend goes fishing on the (NSW) North coast and swears by it - starts taking big doses about a month before the annual trip.

One thing I can g'tee does work, but it's a heck of a way to stay mozzie free, is chemotherapy! Discovered this a few years ago when playing golf at Newcastle (home of the infamous "Hexham Grey" mozzies). Everyone else was covered but neither I nor another guy who had just finished chemo had any at all.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Am pretty sure the Vitamin B thing works for mozzies. They say a 2-week course is sufficient; but a month would have to be better. Beer drinkers seem particularly unattractive to mosquitoes.

As Neil says, its only a smear of Vegemite - I've seen Americans load it on a centimetre thick, nothing could be worse. Its fed to Australian and NZ kids from infancy, far better for developing teeth that awful sweet Nutella.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 04:32 AM

There are mosquitos in NZ in the summer. Mosquito spray with deet is the one that works the best. Mosquitos come out at dusk so best thing to do is cover up.

Mosquitos are attracted to your carbon dioxide and blood type. My husband worked on Raid as a brand manager. But whatever works to keep the bugs away is worth it.

NZ is beautiful. Have a great time.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 02:27 AM

Somewhere I read that people with high concentrations of uric acid are especially attractive to mossies. Not sure how true that is, but as there probably isn't anything you can do about it I guess it doesn't matter anyway.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Sandflies are much worse than mosquitos.

Off works fine, anything with DEET, plus bring the antihistamine cream and Benadryl tabs or Zyrtec if you have a tendency to allergies.

Most pharmacies (with a pharmacist) will sell you Zyrtec or Allegra for insect bites without a prescription. Just show them the ugly red welts.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 06:07 PM

I can't for the life of me remember the brand name, and maybe someone can help, but on the way to Milford Sound a fellow at one of the petrol stations on the way mentioned that we should get some insect repellant that was sold at the Chemist in Te Anau. He said we would need it to combat the sandflies that were "as big at B-52's". anyway, we went to the chemist in Te Anau and bought some insect repellent...it was made in NZ had a bright gold cap and the actual bottle was white with a label that had a beachy scene with palm trees. It wasn't cheap, but I can say it is the one repellent I have used where I have never, ever been bitten by anything while wearing it - and I can't say the same for Aeroguard, Rid or anything else.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 09:39 PM

Was it "Repel?" I think anything with a high concentration of Deet works. I don't react well to sandflies and use the industrial strength, the higher the better, but I believe I read that you don't need more than 35%.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 04:42 AM

Mrs Muck tells me that women in general have deficiency of vitimin B6 at certain times of the month and also certain times in their lives.
Unfortunately this deficiency is one that the mossies love, as they dont like B6.
Now me being just a simple bloke wouldn't claim to understand women at different times over a month, (or anytime for that matter) however B6 does seem to help the moods too....lol

;-)

Muck
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Actually mlgb I just googled "Repel" and found the website, with a picture of the bottle in all its glory. So thanks for that. Now I just need to find out if its available in Australia.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 11:52 PM

Yiddishkopf

You could also try a proven method which has lasting benefits for the shin, is environmentaly friendly, is low cost and is also completely recyclable. It involves applying a thin layer of mud to all exposed skin surfaces and staying away from all strong light sources.
Steve
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 06:35 AM

I got badly bitten by sandflies at Milford Sound and Haast. I have been bitten in the past by mossies but these bites troubled me for weeks afterwards.

I used insect repellent but it wasn't strong enough to deter these little blighters. At Milford I picked up about 30 bites on my arms face and legs which in some ways spoiled the rest of the holiday.

Get a very strong insect repellent if you are susceptible to bites or try and cover up any bare flesh, I wish I had!
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 09:47 AM

Those pesky little blighters seem to be everywhere that there is a beautiful beach to walk on at sunset. In Florida, they call them "no-seeums", and once they bite you, you know all about it. Locals seem to develop immunity, but it's no fun for visitors. Eventually, I discovered that the local pharmacist sold a local repellent (Swamp Juice, I think) -- that seemed to do the job. Maybe that's the good rule -- shop locally for the remedy.

Vegemite/Marmite stories seem to be all over! When we first moved to the US, we had a high-schooler sit for our kids while we went to the movies one evening. I told her she could give them a snack of Marmite on toast if they were hungry (both kids loved it, still do.) I forgot to tell her the "micron" rule, and she spread it like peanut butter, LOL!!
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 05:27 PM

I called Real Journeys to book our Milford Sound overnight cruise. I asked the booking agent about bugs. She said not to buy anything is the US, rather wait until we are in Te Anau and buy the replellent locally. She said it's the best. I am eaten alive by every bug so I am willing to try anything to prevent the bites.