More flights from Syndey to Hervey Bay

Jan 14th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

More flights from Syndey to Hervey Bay

I thought overseas visitors who wish to visit Hervey Bay, either to see the world Heritage Fraser Island, visit Lady Elliot Island on the southern Great Barrier Reef, or for whale watching might be interested to know that that due to increased demand, Virgin Blue is now going to fly daily to Hervey Bay (in the past it was every 2nd day), and also Jetstar will continue its scheduled flights. Both airlines fly from Sydney, and there is now talk of direct flights from Melbourne.
I guess if you visiting Sydney, and have a few spare days, its a short flight to the Bay now. By the middle of this year, the new multi million dollar Peppers Resort will be completed, along with other numerous resorts now being built in the Bay, so accommodation will be plentiful and of world class.
I recently booked 2 return tickets to Sydney for $59 per person each way on Virgins website (you can't drive to & from Sydney for that price). It pays to register your email address (even overseas visitors) with virgin or jetstar, who will email you when specials are on.....check out www.virginblue.com.au or www.jetstar.com.au
Jan 14th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Whoops, I should proof read, like LizF says, sorry its Sydney not Syndey, and also I forgot a few words here & there in the text. Its funny when your typing a message or reply, the brain is sometimes 3 words in front of the fingers doing the typing.
Jan 15th, 2006, 03:00 AM

Nice one, Tropo. Like you I just love those air fare sales.

Curious though, about all these resorts being built up there. Where exactly are they? Do you think it will be a better place with or without them?
Jan 16th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Fuzzylogic - The Peppers Pier Resort is situated near Urangan Pier, the building is nearing the 4th floor.
There is a new apartment resort called, "The Bay" and its situated along the Esplanade at Scarness. Then down near Peppers is the "Pier One" Resort Apartments, which like the The Bay are completed, and being rented out now. In addition, a very expensive complex, called "Allegro" is ready to start building sometime this year, and its on the Esplanade near Shelley Beach. Down near Urangan, not far from The Outrigger Resort and Great Sandy Strait Resort, they are planning to build a Novotel Hotel, in addition to another Apartment Complex, which will look over the sandy straits to Fraser.
As you drive along the Esplanade, and also the neighbouring adjacent streets these days, you can't help notice, the "sold" signs on large blocks of land for apartment or townhouse development. It was reported in the local newspaper that this region is still experiencing population and real estate growth, greater than the south east corner of Qld.
Thats an interesting question - what do I think about it, well I'm in favour of growth, provided its planned properly, and doesn't get like the Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast, which I don't think it will, as the local council wont allow development in excess of 6 storeys. Its certainly helping in reducing unemployment, but then down the track, perhaps our road system will feel the pinch. There is talk of eventually making the Esplanade a one way street. We have new residents coming to the Bay, who wont to get out the mess of the Gold & Sunshine Coast, but also we have long term residents of Hervey Bay, who fear the Bay could end up like the south east corner of Qld, and they are selling and moving to places like Maryborough or Tiaro. I guess its like a dog chasing its tail.
The increase in tourist numbers & accommodation, has also seen a change in Restaurants & style of cuisine, which I think is good for everyone.
P.S. heard the other that the local surf club, is seeking council permission to go up one level with a bar & restaurant, overlooking the sea.
Jan 17th, 2006, 03:27 AM

Well there goes another chunk of the coast.

So the council reckons six stories is OK? And all the people who stay in these places (who maybe wouldn't have gone to the area otherwise cos they just have to have bland, new, not at mark on' em, places to stay) - they'll all head out to Fraser Island as day trippers.

They'll take the photos; churn up the environment. But yes I suppose it will put $$ in the pockets of the developers,

Shame, shame, shame.
Jan 19th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

fuzzylogic, I thought you were only trying to "bait me" with your reply.
Its a shame when people like you become so cynical, when people here in the Bay are looking forward to the future progress. Be positive, happy, and try to have a happy life, if thats possible.
Jan 20th, 2006, 03:11 AM

Well, Tropo, we must agree to disagree, but the following springs to mind: "you don't know what you've got till it's gone". The rest of BIG YELLOW TAXI goes:

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

They took all the trees
Put 'em in a tree museum
And they charged the people
A dollar and a half just to see 'em
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

There's more, but that will do for now.

Thanks Joni Mitchell.

Jan 20th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

I doubt whether Hervey Bay will ever become like the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast....we don't have surf like they do or hinterlands with mountain retreats etc, We are fortunate in that we have a expansive bay/beaches (approx. 12 kms from Point Vernon to Urangan) which allows for moderate growth in low high rise development. The council is quite adamant that 6 storeys is the maximum, which is accepted by the public & visitors. Hervey Bay has a shoreline bush area cuts off any visible sign of buildings from the beach, in fact, when standing at Point Vernon and looking back to the Bay, you can't see these new apartment resorts, because of the trees. Something the Gold Coast will kill for, and this parkland/bushland area is liked by visitors.
The council is planning for sustainable growth, whilst protecting heritage buildings/houses along the foreshore.
The locals are now enjoying low unemployment, better dining facilities, improved shopping centres, etc. Of course there are people who would want the Bay to stay like it was 80 years ago, a small backwater town, with high unemployment and a crime rate to match. Now the youth of the city don't have to leave town for work.
Sensible growth & planning (not like the wall to wall buildings in south east queensland) is the way to go, so that residents & visitors can be proud of what is accomplished by a caring council & planning department.
With Australias population growing steadily, it is difficult for any town or city not to experience quick growth, especially Queensland, with approximately 1,000 new residents moving into the State per week. So the only answer is proper council planning, not put up "barriers" at the border, to keep people out.
Perhaps you have the the "answers" to the population movement to Qld, and what can the councils do?????
Jan 20th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Oh I forgot to mention, that a lot of people who bought apartments in various Hervey Bay Resorts are "owner/occupiers".
As soon as one mentions new resorts, people think that all the rooms are only occupied by visitors???
Jan 20th, 2006, 06:17 PM

That's great, Troppo - thanks. I have friends in Howard & am always looking for an excuse to visit them
Jan 21st, 2006, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Bokhara - when you get around to visiting your friends in Howard, make a point of visiting the little shop which sells clothing, materials, etc.
A gem of a shop, nice guy who runs the shop, if he starts talking to you, you will be there for hours. Inside the shop, it is completely "packed" with items. The first time I saw the shop, the owner had items out on the footpath, and when I looked inside I was wondering how on earth he would the clothing back into the store.
Not far away from Howard is Burrum Heads, a lovely quiet seaside town, and great for fishing both from the beach & the Burrum River adjacent to the village. Across the river bar is the National Park leading up Woodgate.
Jan 21st, 2006, 03:45 PM

Hi Tropo,
Thanks for the tip. In the early 70's some (other) friends owned the caravan park on the Burrum River at Howard. We loved rowing up & down the river & collecting our muddies from the overnight craypots. Not quite so charming were the cane toads, but reasonable practice for the 3 iron Unfortunately they had a couple of cyclones through in the first year.

Went back about 5 years ago on a "road trip" with one of the former owners in a VW kombi! What a hoot! Couple of old hippies tootling around the countryside re-visiting old stamping grounds. Took a week & had a ball - drove from Coffs Harbour, all along the old coast road. Did you know, other VW drivers still give the old "Peace" sign to each other?
Jan 22nd, 2006, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Bokhara - your trip in the Kombi sounds great. Many moons ago, I owned a VW beetle, in fact about 3 over the years, with a Luckey muffler, of course, and a surfboard on the roof.