Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Money-saving tip for those lucky US people coming from LA to Sydney for $499

Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:20 PM
Alan

I usually answer posts, not submit my own, but that current offer of a fortnight in Sydney for $US499 is so good, that I thought I would complete it by telling those tempted where to find good bargain-basement accommodation in the heart of Sydney for the same kind of saving. My old favourite recommendation, the Criterion, on the corner of Pitt and Park Sts Sydney (you can't get a more central location) has single rooms for $AUD55, double rooms for $AUD66. That means that for around $US400, a couple could stay for 12 nights at a top Sydney location. Combined with the air fare of $US1000 for two people, that would have to be a bargain holiday by any standards. And the weather in Sydney is starting to get beautiful now... remember they chose September for the Olympics because of the certainty of dry, sunny days!

Aug 22nd, 2002, 07:54 PM
Mina

Alan, forget about a trip for two, I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how I'm gonna run away for a few days by myself! I hear the GBR is great that time of year.

Yeesh...I wonder if I can get a week off on a few days notice....

Thanks to you (and the other poster) for posting this one, if only so I could dream.

Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:37 AM
Alan

Well, Mina, I hope you go ahead and do it, instead of just dreaming! Do you want Liz and me to put the hard word on your boss so that he suddenly finds he doesn't need you? Liz, do you still have that horse's head stashed in the attic?
Seriously, though, Mina, you really should come... after all the help you have been to fellow Americans with your enthusiastic advice, you deserve to take advantage of Air New Zealand's sudden burst of altruism. Think of how much better your advice will be after a two-week "refresher"!

Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:31 AM
Mina

Alan, thanks for the laugh, I needed it today.

You'll have to talk to my NEW boss because today the boss that I've worked with for 5+ years is leaving. I'm feeling pretty glum as she is wonderful mentor and a great friend.

I did seriously try to figure something out! Unfortunately, I've already scheduled a business trip that conflicts with the dates. The dates that WOULD work are too close to my vacation to Ireland (at the end of September).

With all of life's stresses right now, my heart aches to be out on the reef enjoying a little piece of heaven.

But I'll be there soon, don't worry! Australia is worth paying full fare...AND sitting 14 hours in "steerage"!

Have a great weekend Alan.

Aug 24th, 2002, 01:39 PM
liz

Alan: how can I have the horses head in the attic seeing you keep saying that I live in a high-rise in the middle of Surfer's Paradise??????
Mina, do enjoy your trip to Ireland and clock up those FF points and try and get an upgrade to Business Class - it is soooooooooo worth it on that trans-Pacific flight

Aug 24th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Mina

Thanks Liz...I need the time off, so I plan to drink a lot of Guinness!

And yes, I know that biz class is worth it...I travel so much for work, I was able to fly business class to Australia (and business class for my upcoming trip to Ireland as well) for free. Now that I'm spoiled, I'm a bit afraid to try to make that 14 hour flight on coach. But as I said, Australia is worth it.

Aug 24th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Patti

Alan
I'm feeling like a real dum-dum but I have nothing and know nothing about this $499. How do I learn about it? If it's that's good I might take my hubby back as a surprise!!

Aug 24th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Debbie

I first heard about this very special special was from my travelzoo.com email Good luck; I hope you can take advantage!! If there had been any way for me to get off work, I'd be back in Australia in a heartbeat! By the way, you could leave as early as Sept. 1 and not return til the 24th!

Aug 25th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Alan

Hi, Patti!
The $499 return was being offered (last week) ONLY by Air New Zealand, and you either had to leave this week or next and come back on September 11, or leave on September 11 and come back one or two weeks later. I, too, first heard of it on the travelzoo site, but I subequently found it on several other internet booking sites. I would imagine, however, that by this time you would have to be lucky to find a vacant seat! Good luck, however!

Aug 25th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Patti

Hi Alan
Thanks for replying Alan. You offer all of us such good advice and we always appreciate it. I guess we'll have to wait for a higher fare to come back to see y'all again. (And we'll be back)

Aug 26th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Confused!

Just so you all don't feel too bad having missed out- the grand total to Sydney works out to $588.32 with taxes, while the NZ total is around $540 something with taxes. Darn those Sydney taxes- but see you all soon! I stumbled onto it the day it was offered- even the ANZ agents were confused "Are you certain it isn't a one way fare?" they kept asking...sadly they aren't being as generous with the frequent flier mileage- can't have everything...

Aug 26th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Alan

Hi, Confused!
You may be confused by name, but when it comes to your instincts for a great deal, you are a straight as a die. Congratulations on scoring one of those wonderful fares, and we will look forward to helping you maximise your savings by helping you plan a bargain-besement, top-quality holiday that will make you the envy of everyone. Hope to hear from you again soon!