Search

Great Aussie Pub Crawl?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 09:16 AM
lynette

Great Aussie Pub Crawl?

Anyone been on Aus-Vacations Great Aussie Pub Crawl? It looks fun! Includes nights at the Birdsville Inn,The Desert Cave in Coober Pedy ,and the Prarie Inn in Parachilna. By plane, you fly around the outback, check out the pubs, eat drink and sleep in some neat places! I haven't been able to find all of the inns online though... so what I need is more info! Thought I'd try here, before calling Aus-Vacation... I'm more of a do-it-yourself girl!<BR>Lynette

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Debbie

Hi Lynette,<BR>I definately visited one or two pubs while in Australia and tried plenty of lovely beer but didn't do any kind of organized drinking tour. No doubt, if you do that tour, you'll be with a fun group, but will you get to all the places in Australia that you wish to go?<BR><BR>What about a Contiki tour? They're reasonably priced, generally hit all the highlights of a country and always have a fun bunch of 18-35 yr olds--I know, I've gone on a couple of Contiki trips and had an absolute blast!<BR><BR>Debbie

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 03:15 PM
john

Read an article on this outback pub crawl in the sydney press last week...maybe they ran it in the usa.<BR><BR>sounds great...likely to be expensive by oz standards<BR><BR>they have a similar "postmans run" to outback stations by light aircraft in outback south australia.<BR><BR>some of these places are outback pubs....not 5 star resorts.<BR><BR>

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 07:34 PM
lynette

Thanks Debbie and John! Debbie, I know it must sound to you like I'm a lush and want a big party time... but that's really not the case! This specific trip covers an opal mine, several museums, an underground hotel,and flying around the outback... seems cool! We will be in Australia for several (3) weeks, one week in Brisbane due to a conference, a few days in Sydney... and I'm just looking for something to do other than drive north to the beaches... we live at the beach in California! John, I'd love to seee that artcle! You are right, two nights are at "pub hotels." After reading the article... do you think I'm crazy? I should also explain that my husband has spent quite a bit of time (two months) in Australia 10 years ago. We are late thirties... and hope to meet some interesting people, I think this might be a fun way to spend four of our 20 days! Thanks for the input!<BR>Lynette

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 09:30 PM
john

Lynette<BR><BR>i can't find the aricle at the newspaper site but there is lots of great detail under various sites...search for great aussie outback pub crawl..you probably have done this already...the intinerary is quintessential outback stuff...coopers creek,lake eyre,birdsville hotel,flinders,coober pedy...fantastic.<BR><BR>get out your map...look in northern south australia to find the places.<BR>check out the story of burke and wills and the dig tree...<BR><BR>But you would have to get to adelaide and the price is (for a middle class aussie) astronomical A$3,500 for 4 days?? Is it legal to charge that much??<BR><BR>maybe you and your rotary mates could do a group deal

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 10:03 PM
lynette

John, I "googles" and got all the details... it looks super, but the price IS very steep! I'm no giving up yet... we do have some others Rotarians who I'm sure will want to go...they just don't know about it yet! Thanks! <BR>Lynette

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Debbie

Hi Lynette,<BR>No, I don't think your question makes you sound like a lush, just a fun person! I just wanted to offer you another option, one which might give you the opportunity to see more of Australia than just the Outback and have fun too...I'm late 30s too--too old to consider Contiki anymore <BR><BR>Debbie

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:53 AM
lynette

After a bit more research I am convinced that this is a super tour and would be time well spent..appeals more to me than just the "usual" tourist stuff. We'll be eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the next 6 months to save the extra dollars!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:23 PM
margo

Lynette<BR><BR>The tour sounds great. You would certaionly be seeing some different parts of Australia. Forget 5 stars - these pubs are pretty far out, and may be primitive, but OK. They probably don't have websites, but you should be able to find them on a good map. It'll be expensive because of the area to be covered.<BR><BR>Have a great time!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Prue

Lynette,<BR>I am so pleased you have decided to do the Pub Crawl - I am sure it will be a wonderful trip - and well worth the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!<BR>There is no doubt you will be seeing a much more 'real' Australia than the average tourist does - as well as most Aussies, and I think the best part of all will be the truly wonderful & colourful characters you are sure to meet along the way.<BR>Have a great time.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:42 PM
lynette

Thanks everybody! For those who are interested.. I "googled" on each pub and was able to find details about the meals, the tours and pictures of the rooms! Also checked "great Aussie pub crawl" and found out you can go by plane or by horseback! Now that would be an adventure!<BR>Lynette

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:49 AM
lynette

I'm sad to report that we're NOT doing this in July! (Breaks my heart to write this!) WIll have to save Sydney, and this Adelaide/Outback trip for next time! The good news is... my husband promises that there will be another Australia trip! I'm explaing more at my other post...asking for itinerary help from the "Nice Aussies" John, Liz... etc.<BR><BR>Lynette<BR>