Our first trip down under..?

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Dee

Our first trip down under..?

We are planning a trip to AU-NZ for January 2003 - We have to be in Whyalla AU on Jan. 18 and my husband would like to be in Sydney on Jan. 26 (Australia Day) - We would like to to to Melbourne and the GBR and spend at least a week in NZ (most likely driving). Does anyone know the best way to do this? Our time there can be up to four weeks or so.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Al Heath

Not sure about the NZ bit, but am about to do the Aus part of your trip in about the same timescale, depart next week! Shall let you know if my plans work out! Against my Australian friends advice I am driving between Syd and Mel, doing wine and mountains and flying to GBR. Should work, but will let you know.<BR><BR>Alasdair

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Dee

Al, thanks for your reply - I will look forward to any information you can give on your trip. Did you have any problems getting good flights? I have looked into a Tauck Tour that goes to AU-NZ for 21 days at the time I need...but right now, it is on hold...I guess meaning there must not be enough people to go ahead with it. Thanks. <BR>Dee

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 04:18 PM
liz

Don't take a tour because Australia is soooooooooooo easy to get around and see and so diverse that most of the tours don't go to all of the main features. <BR>So seeing you are in Whyalla ( an industrial town you won't want to spend too much time in) you can start there and perhaps drive down the Great Ocean Road to Melbourne. You may or may not wish to hop over to Tasmania for a few days from there, if you do you can take your car across and do an overnight trip on the ferry. From Melbourne fly to the GBR but buy your tickets on the Net from either www.qantas.com.au or www.virginblue.com.au and you should get some really good deals at that time of the year. Either go to Cairns and Port Douglas or perhaps further south to the Whitsundays. Return to Sydney either stopping en route at the Gold Coast or Brisbane for some time in those areas. Forget about a trip to Ayers Rock, Northern Territory or Alice Springs as the weather will be far too hot to be nice. You should be able to get great flight prices and so I would not suggest getting a Boomerang Pass.......gee I have just re-read your post and I see that you have only 8 days between Whyalla and Sydney - then perhaps you may like to change that to going to Sydney from Whyalla then up to the GBR and fly down to Melbourne from there?<BR>In any event we can help you all the way for a wonderful holiday.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Jane

Four weeks will give you plenty of time to explore Australia. I recommend you do not do a tour unless you are the type that likes to have someone do all the planning for you and the group experience. Lots of Australian suppliers offer combination airfares along with hotel passes you can buy for the desired number of nights. There are a variety of options-four wheel drive adventures, short cruises along the Great Barrier Reef and snorkeling from the boat, stays on islands like Frasier and Kangaroo Island. You might want to consider a jaunt to Penguin Island and a couple of days in Tasmania. Melbourne is a laid back city with a lot to offer. Some compare it to Sydney, but more relaxed. A week in New Zealand won't give you much time. In that week you might do Auckland, Bay of Islands and Rotorua. You could really use more time there to fully enjoy it. What a great vacation in store!