6-7 weeks in Australia!

Aug 2nd, 2002, 03:41 PM
Susan

6-7 weeks in Australia!

I've read some of the posts and welcome your informative and helpful feedback!

I'm living in Sydney for 3 months, completing a working internship. Around mid-September, I will embark on a 6-7 week solo tour of Australia, returning to the US late October. I know that I won't be making it to Western Australia this trip (I'm already planning a return trip!). About me: I'm 31, female, active/athletic, adventurous, and interested in a broad, rich experience. Please help with your suggestions of favorite places/things to see and do or refer me to a previous post. You are welcome to email directly! Much thanks - Susan

Aug 3rd, 2002, 04:12 AM
Alan

Hi, Susan!
I bet you get lots of help from the regulars on this forum, with such a nicely-worded request! Does your 7-week tour finish up in Sydney, your point of departure for the USA? If so, I think I would begin, in September, by hopping the first plane north to Cairns or somewhere near there, so you can have a look at the reef. You could then train it back as far as Brisbane, from where you might get a one-way air ticket out to Uluru. If you enjoyed the train trip from Cairns, you could then, from the centre, hop the Ghan and go south to Adelaide. From there, cross the strait to Hobart, and spend a pleasant week in early October looking around Tasmania. Back via the ferry to Melbourne for a couple of days in this city, and then a final plane back to Sydney just in time for your connecting flight back to the States. How does that sound?
I am sure you will get a host of other suggestions in the next couple of days, so, whatever you choose, have a great holiday!

Aug 5th, 2002, 09:57 PM
Leslie

If I had 6-7 weeks, I might do something like this (assuming you are starting & finishing in Syd??)Syd - Brisbane (for just a couple of days) - Fraser Island (few days) - Port Douglas (1 week) - Darwin (week)- Alice Springs/Ayers Rock (3 days?)- Adelaide & Kang. Island (1 week incl. day in wine region) - Melbourne (5 days incl. GOR, Phillip Island) - Hobart (or any part of Tasmania; Cradle Mtn, Freycinet)for whatever time is left, hopefully the better part of a week?? & then back to Sydney.

Aug 7th, 2002, 07:44 AM
bill simpson

My wife & I did a 7 week trip this last March & April & it was terrific. This itinerary may not work or be attractive for all but it worked for us. We stopped enroute at Auckland (3 days) & Christchurch (3 days) - Auckland wasn't that great but the Bay of Islands north of Auckland was worth the trip. We kind of regret not doing Wellington or Queenstown instead of Auckland. To continue: Sydney (6 days), drive to Melbourne via Princes Hwy (2 days), Melbourne (4 days) (could have eliminated 1 day at Melbourne & added a day in Sydney), drive to Adelaide (2 days), Adelaide (5 days), Perth (4 days), Ayers Rock (2 days), flight back to Adelaide for overnight with a 6 hour layover at Alice Springs, Hobart 4 days), Surfers Paradise (5 days)(my wife didn't like Surfers that much - do much like a small Miami but I liked it), Port Douglas (8 days). I notice the previous poster didn't include Perth & if I was doing 7 weeks, especially if not including New Zealand I would highly recommend including Perth - you have the time. We didn't do Darwin so I can't speak for that but all the places we saw we enjoyed. Each one had it's special features.

Aug 11th, 2002, 09:05 PM
Susan

Thank you for your great suggestions! I can't wait for my adventure to begin and I appreciate the informative feedback.

Cheers,
Susan

Aug 13th, 2002, 09:26 PM
Michael

Marvelous responses all. I have had the high pleasure of meeting "Alan" and his family, and I can assure you that his suggestions are top drawer!Great Barrier Reef- a must. The Gold Coast, south of Brisbane--not to be missed. Uluru is a fantastic sight. Stay at least one night and attend the 'Sounds of Silence' Dinner in the middle of the desert, with a guide to the stars after dinner. I am a big train fan; just rode the Ghan from Melbourne to Alice Springs, and loved every second of it. The "loco" did have problems and popped us in about 2 1/2 hours late, just missing the one plane to Uluru. But rented a car with a mate and drove down. Well worth the trip. The Ghan is usually pretty much on time.My family and I LOVE Australia and are looking forward to our next trip. Oh yes, the naturalist David Armbrust gives 1/2 day and full day tours of the rain forest and outback (Cairns/Port Douglas).Look him up. His one day tour, with morning and afternoon tea, and wonderfully prepared lunch, is fantastic.