Melbourne - First of March

Old Feb 14th, 2020, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Melbourne - First of March

I am scheduled to join a group in Melbourne on March 1st. What can I expect regarding fires? I'm spending a few days in the city and then off to Alice Springs. Any insights would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! BP
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 04:27 PM

The city has not been affected at all, except for smoke haze but I'm pretty sure that cleared a while ago. So no problems, certainly not at this stage. Come and enjoy!

If you are coming from overseas, it seems the world media went a bit berserk in the bushfire coverage. The whole country was not on fire, far from it. There were tragedies of course and many homes lost but most tourists who visited the city areas would not have noticed much at all.

Kay
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kay,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I’ll have some downtime in Melbourne. Would you have any recommendations and /or suggestions as to what I should or shouldn’t do while in Melbourne? Thank you again! BP
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 02:12 PM

Melbourne is a cosmopolitan city of around 5 million people, with more things to do & see than any of us could list in a lifetime. Suggest you have a look at the “Visit Melbourne” website, the Melbourne destination tag & FAQs here on TA.

Without any idea of your interests, we would just be reiterating what you can easily read for yourself.

There is no “ Don’t do’s “ - apart from not taking the normal common sense precautions you would or should take anywhere else.

If you give us some idea if your interests & available time, we can probably make some suggestions that may appeal.
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I'm interested in good food and drink. I'm not a "kid" but still very "wthi it" --I enjoy doing things that are of interest to the younger generation. What do you suggest for folks who are not 'old fo]gies' but still young" at heart" regardless of chronologic age?
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by bp922 View Post
Thank you! I'm interested in good food and drink. I'm not a "kid" but still very "wthi it" --I enjoy doing things that are of interest to the younger generation. What do you suggest for folks who are not 'old fo]gies' but still young" at heart" regardless of chronologic age?
————/////———
Have you read the websites I suggested above?

Do that for a start.
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 09:43 PM

Very annoying, the post I just wrote has disappeared. This is my third try. Grrr.

I agree with Bokhara2 that it's difficult without knowing your interests but here are a few ideas. Queen Victoria Market is huge and has a wonderful array of fresh food as well as clothes, shoes, souvenirs, electronics etc etc. They do walking tours and are open most days.

Federation Square and the Ian Potter Centre (gallery) and also the National Gallery of Victoria.

For food check either Zomato or Trip Advisor and specify Melbourne CBD or Southbank otherwise you'll end up with all the suburb listings.

For a trip outside the city centre, get the tram to St Kilda and check out the cake shops on Acland St. The Esplanade Sunday market is good.

Melbourne's weather is very changeable, it can drop 10 degrees in 15 minutes. Be prepared.

Kay
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Melbourne

Thanks for information. I’ll check the sites suggested. Cheers!