Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Opinion and critique please on planned itinerary for first venture to Australia in March 08 (Perth, Margaret River, Uluru, Adelaide, KI. GOR, Melbourne, Sydney)

Search

Opinion and critique please on planned itinerary for first venture to Australia in March 08 (Perth, Margaret River, Uluru, Adelaide, KI. GOR, Melbourne, Sydney)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2007, 05:38 AM
michaels_edinburgh

With particular thanks for some comments from Melnq8 and DownUnder which were much appreciated I have now adjusted our planned itinerary for our first trip to Australia in March/April 2008 and, before confirming bookings, would welcome comments on:-

1) whether it is still too ambitious for 22 nights and whether for example we should consider missing out on Uluru and/or Kangaroo Island and using the 2/3 days elsewhere as Uluru in particular is going to add considerably to cost of trip) and

2) if you have any experience of the places we plan to stay (trying to be as central as possible in the cities and in good quality apartment type accommodation) or have other suggestions, either of places to stay or must do's for each area that would be appreciated.

I realise I am missing GBR but not possible to do it all in one trip and to do it justice would want about 7 days there.

18 March- Arrive in Perth (01.40 am!) after 3 nights in Singapore. Stay at Medina Grand for 4.

21 March- Hire car and drive to Margaret River. Stay at the Rosewood Guesthouse in Margaret River http://www.rosewoodguesthouse.com.au/ for 3 nights. It is Easter so I realise may be busy. Spend some time at wineries, drive along to Pemberton and just enjoying the area

24 March-Return car to Perth airport for 12-30 flight to Uluru. 2 nights at Emu Walk apartments.

26 March-Fly 10 am from Uluru to Adelaide (via Alice Springs). Stay 3 nights at Horizons Adelaide. One day in Adelaide and second day get out to Barossa Valley

29 March-picked up from Horizons for transfer to Kangaroo Island via ferry. I night at Ozone Hotel.

30 March-on arrival back pick up car at Ferry terminal and drive along GOR to Port Fairy. 1 night at Comfort Inn.

31 March-drive to Lorne. I night at Cumberland Resort.

I April-drop of car on Melbourne arrival. 4 nights at Medina Grand Apartments. Spend one day out of city exploring Yarra and Philip Island

5 April-fly Sydney. 4 nights Medina City Grand Apartments. One day will visit Blue Mountains, either by car or tour.

9 April-fly Hong Kong for 3 nights and then home

Many thanks in advance
Kind Regards
Michael

Old Aug 24th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If this is your first trip to Australia and you have not been to the GBR area then I would put that first and start cutting out other areas such as Adelaide, Melbourne, GOR, and Kangaroo Island for a start. Remember that the GBR has more unique birds, animals, and flora that the rest of Australia put together and that is before you touch the reef. As you are using Perth as your first arrival city you can keep the plan you have there and then fly to the centre ( Uluru) for a touch of the outback etc. Then I would be heading for the GBR because this is something that is magnificent, large and unique and forget places like Adelaide and Melbourne as they are just cities and the GOR and KI are upstaged 1000times by North Queensland, the islands and surrounds, that is World Heritage area and the others are definately not.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 08:58 PM

I would second LizzyF, I also wonder if you could shave a day off Perth and I'm not sure why you are transiting via Alice Springs?
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 06:50 AM
michaels_edinburgh

Thanks for comments. I am having a bit of a rethink as the 2 comments received actually confirms my own instinct that we must visit GBR which means shaving off time elsewhere but I have a couple of questions

1. Would September/October be a better time to visit, assuming as well as GBR (and I am thinking 4 days in Port Douglas/Daintree) we may also go to Perth and south west, Uluru (perhaps), Adelaide, GOR, Melbourne and Sydney? I have not confirmed any flights yet. They are still on hold.

2. If we did come in March and had to choose either GBR or Uluru, OR forego Maragret River and Kangaroo Island for 4 days allowing us to do both what would you recommend bearing in mind the time of year?

3. My mother is travelling with us and while not disabled has some mobilty problems with a bad knee making it hard to walk too far or deal with steps. Which of Uluru and GBR are most suitable destinaton for someone with such difficulties?

My feeling is to defer until Sept/Oct and put GBR ahead of Uluru so that would mean 6 nights between Perth/Margaret River, 4 nights Port Douglas, 3 nights Adelaide, 2 nights driving GOR, 3 nights Melbourne, 3 nights Sydney and 1 night in Blue Mountains.

Further comment would be appreciated.
Many thanks
Michael

Old Aug 26th, 2007, 03:24 AM

Well, when I read your post the first time I almost wrote to say that not going to the GBR is very deviant. And that for an alternative to Uluru you might think about Kakadu.

Then I noticed you were travelling March/April - not the best months for either of the aforesaid - so left it.

Now I see you are reconsidering. I do think Sept/Oct is a better bet - but then it still seems you would want to spend 8 days on Adelaide the GOR and Melbourne.

Could be that you are wine buffs hence the focus on Margaret River and Adelaide for the Barossa?

But honestly - all three of these are second visit destinations. The GOR is nice but I don't quite understand how it has become a fixture on the wish list of so many overseas visitors. Ditto Kangaroo Island. And Melbourne is a fine city - but it's not Cape Town, or San Francisco, or Hong Kong, or Sydney, or Rio - you know, one of those iconic by the water "must see before you die" places.

It's just a city.

Now KI does allow you to see a lot of wildlife in one place. But to get there you have to make a HUGE detour. And once you are there you sort of feel you must do the GOR, etc. etc.

What is it that interests you about Australia most? Why are you coming? Is it for the wine; the wildlife; the landscape; the beach/oceanlife? Are you interested in Aboriginal culture and history?

If if were me I'd come in Sept/Oct. Fly into Perth and do the SW corner for a bit of a road trip and the wine (also lots to see). Then I'd fly to Uluru, take a trip that ends you up in Alice; take the Ghan to Darwin; spend 4-5 days in Darwin for Kakadu and Litchfield; fly to Cairns for the GBR; fly to Sydney and home.

I know it's not easy!!!