Search

Melbourne areas - which one?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 05:27 PM
JIW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Melbourne areas - which one?

When searching for accommodations in Mel, there are so many areas to choose from...north, south, east, west...etc
Just want an area that's NOT LIKE King's Crossing in Sydney...been there, done that.
Found Best Western Treasury Motor Lodge in East Mel.
Anyone know anything about it? Looks good on the website and it's in my price range. I'll be there right after Easter Sunday...will places be hard to find?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
It's only Sept and I'm panicking about April already!
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 11:28 PM

It really depends on both what sort of accom your looking for and what you want to do. East Melb is leafy, close to the city and full of old Victorian buildings. There's nothing in Melb like Kings Cross - the closest would probably be St Kilda - but it's not really like the Cross! I'd suggest around Southbank - there are lots of places from 5* to 3* - (try Quest) it's central, lots happening and easy to travel about from.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 12:12 PM

I would suggest St Kilda, on the beach, interesting, nice at weekends, trams into town, very close to everything but a 'seaside town' feel, nice!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd also suggest Southbank, there is a new Travelodge that is not too expensive right behind the Sheraton. Southbank has lots of shops and restaurants, and is 2 mins walk into the city. East Melb is a nice elegant area but mainly residential, not many shops or restaurants at all. You would have about a 15 min walk into town or you could catch the tram. I've stayed at Magnolia Court (a boutique hotel/B&B) in East Melb that was nice.

Easter is a very busy holiday period in Australia with school holidays attached at one end or the other so booking ahead is a good idea.
Kay
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 11:37 AM
JIW
Original Poster

We get to Mel on April 13, we will have a car and want to do usual tourist things and see as much as possible. Plan to drive GOR for a ways and then head back and eventually end up in Sydney. Time is not an issue...we are in Oz for 8 weeks so plan to stay wherever we want & for however long we want.
We like accommodations with a separate bedroom and some kitchen facilities so we can prepare simple meals... breakfast/lunch...sometimes dinner if we don't feel like eating out.
My concern is that I'll have to have reservations for that week after Easter and that will limit our ability to 'roam freely'. Once we get past the 18th of April everything should be back to normal, right?
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 05:40 PM

I also vote for staying at Southbank - five minutes walk to the city, parks and galleries. It has a great choice of accommodation and restaurants. Anzac Day on 25 April is a public holiday throughout Australia (our day of remembrance for those who died in war). If this coincides with a weekend, you may need to book ahead. If it falls within the week, don't worry about it.
You could try www.visitvictoria.com.au or www.melbournecitysearch.com.au for accommodation options.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 05:48 PM

Lots of the accom at Southbank has seperate kitchens etc. Depending on your budget there's Quay West at the upper end - although they do have some good internet specials sometimes or Quest which is cheaper - but good and brand new. There's also a couple who's names I can't remember. Sorry - next time I drive past I'll check and let you know.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 09:09 AM
JIW
Original Poster

Thank you, I'd appreciate that. JIW
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 12:03 PM

As promised here is some more info. There's a heap of serviced apartments around Southbank - but these are all in good locations, being close to Soutbank itself and all the restaurants etc. questapartments.com.au. pacificinthotels.com.au. southbankapartments.com.au. mirvachotels.com.au. & shortstayapartments.com.au. The only one I've stayed at is the mirvac one (Quay West) and it's really lovely - but pricey sometimes. All of the apartment blocks in the area are newish. I'd probably go for either Quay West, Quest or Pacific International.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:22 AM
JIW
Original Poster

What about Quest on Burke? I got a decent quote for that place.
Is the location good. etc?
Thanks, JIW
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 05:48 PM
JIW
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 12:49 AM

QUEST on Bourke is fine - it's right in the middle of the city.