Looking for Wayward Bus tour experiences

Apr 8th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Looking for Wayward Bus tour experiences

I have been working on my itinerary for our 3 week Australian vacation. I have pretty much have figured out where we are going to visit now I'm in the beginning stages of figuring out what to do/see when we get there. We will be flying into Melbourne. It is there that I thought we would start the first of our possible 3 Wayward Bus tours. I thought we could take the 3 day "Classic Coast from Melbourne" trip which ends in Adelaide. Then from there take WB tour #2 to Kangaroo Island. Then after that side trip, fly to Alice Springs and take WB tour #3 "Face the Outback from Alice Springs".
I'm looking for any comments, positive and negative concerning any of those tours. It has been my wife's dream to visit Australia her whole life and I really want her to see and experience Australian life and culture as much as possible in the short time we will be there. Will these tours help accomplish that? If not, any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Our trip will continue up to Carnes/PD then finish in Sydney.
Also I'm a little concern what we can do with our luggage durning these tours especially durning the Melbourne Coast tour. Any suggestions? Again thanks for your help.
Scott
Apr 8th, 2008, 03:18 PM

I took Wayward Bus for 3 1/2 days between Melbourne & Adelaide via Great Ocean Road.

It was an excellent tour with a lot of good stops along the way for hikes/photos. It was a small bus (not a huge coach - a big plus because they can get off the beaten path with a smaller bus) and our total group was just 13 people, primarily backpackers, ages between 18 and 50, mostly people travelling on their own.

Wayward gives you a choice regarding your overnight accommodation - hostel or budget motel/hotel. Only 2 people on our tour stayed in the hotel/motels. I didn't hear them say anything negative about their overnights there. I'm assuming since you are travelling with your wife you will probably not want to stay in a hostel with bunk beds.

If the overnight stay is in a remote area or a town with limited services later in the evening, Wayward will usually make a quick stop along the way to give passengers the chance to get groceries, go to an ATM, etc.

Wayward focuses mostly on scenic walks/hikes, seeing wildlife and some cultural experiences thrown in. I thought the stop they made in South Australia at an Aboriginal Cultural Center was much better than some other Centers I visited in other parts of Australia.

How much luggage are you bringing that you are concerned what to do with it during your trip? Wayward does try to limit how much luggage people bring with them - primarily because the buses aren't enormous and also because they expect you will be able to handle your own luggage getting it on/off the bus each day.

I didn't have any negatives during my tour with Wayward and can only say it more than met my expectations and overall was a good value for the money.
Apr 9th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for relaying your experiences Ceidleh. If we take the Wayward Bus tour I believe that my wife and I would stay in a motel if the option was available. Now my concern about our luggage is because we will be just starting our 3 week vacation. We will be landing just a day or 2 before starting that trip. Since we will be starting the tour in Melbourne and ending at Adelaide, we would then continue the vacation from there. We would not be able to leave our big bags anywhere. Doing the other 2 tours, they both start and end in the same location so we could leave the big bags somewhere, such as a hotel. Thanks again for you help.
Scott
Apr 9th, 2008, 04:39 AM

Hi,

I am a BIG Wayward fan. Did Classic Coast in the other direction way back in 1998. Brilliant!! More recently have persuaded quite picky friends to give it a go (they opted for motel accommo) and they had a ball. So good choice!!

Have also travelled with them on "Face the Outback", though again in the other direction - ADL northbound and I hopped off a Coober Pedy cos I had already visited the Centre. Another FABULOUS trip. You ask if these tours will help your wife "experience Australian life and culture". Well, that's debatable, (what is "Australian life and culture? - most people live in the big seaside cities) but both trips offer huge variety, and FTO takes you to places you couldn't easily get to independently. I loved William Creek. You will see what I mean when you get there.

Re luggage. Don't understand how this can be an issue. You are here for three weeks - stuff you need for that length of time should easily fit into a 60-65 litre backpack or suitcase equivalent. And so you just take it with you when you start off with Wayward. Most folk do.

Now, if you are travelling with huge suitcases, you'll have a problem, but then I'm sure you're not!

Have a fantastic time! I did.'
Apr 9th, 2008, 05:30 PM

Scudam: As a reference point for your luggage, when I did my Wayward trip it was part of a year long RTW trip and I was packing for multiple climates. My backpack was a 90L that weighed 40 pounds loaded and Wayward accepted it.

For just 3 weeks, you can easily get by with a smaller bag - just remember that you pack it, you carry it and plan on doing laundry every 5 to 7 days in a laundromat and you can always handwash in your hotel sink at night in between.