Looking for a 4 to 6 month trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am in the early stages of planing a trip for 4 to 6 months. We are planing on buying or renting a campervan and just exploring at will. I am interested in anyone who may have done similar trips and kept a good report going. Many thanks. Wendy I can be contacted at [email protected]
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 08:41 AM

Sorry, I don't have what you want, but I have a suggestion for reading to get some ideas--Roff Smith's book Cold Beer and Crocodiles. He rides around Australia on a bicycle, not a campervan, but it is interesting and something I would want to do (in the campervan, not the bike!!) if I had the time. Although I would also plan a part that went to Uluru (in the wintertime) and I am SURE that my DH would insist we go to the Devil's Marbles on the way to Darwin. Also, a book Hiking Tropical Australia by Lew Hinchman might be of help since he and his wife camped around FNQ and NSW, visiting many of the parks and describing trails (and putting little drawings of them) that they took. Good luck and I envy you your experience!
Sally in Seattle
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 02:23 PM

Have you looked at the Lonely Planet message boards? http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ca...s.cfm?catid=10

I think that they might be more people who have done the extended camper van trips on that site.

Good luck!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 04:37 PM

Assume you mean Australia, rather than New Zealand. Have never seen trip reports of that length here, but try googling an Australian caravanning/camping website - am sure some have forums. The lengthy trips are very popular with retired Australians, known as "grey nomads".
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for your great responses. I am looking into all the info right this minute. Yes we have been to New Zealand for a 2 month trip and just loved it. We would fit in with the "grey nomads" I am sure.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 10:06 PM
ALF

We took a 10-month trip across the S Pacific (F Poly - Cooks - NZ - Oz - Fiji - Tonga - Hawai'i), and I kept a journal that I just sent to you. Hope it helps!
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 06:38 PM

My journal from a 12 month trip is not digital so cannot send it to you and at seven folders with 30 sleeves most of which contain two pages but some more, it is tooo much to photocopy.

However as you are going to be "just exploring at will" I doubt that you need it.

I sugest that you do some general research on the main interests for all those in the "we" and some info on the climate and go from there. It is good to be able to make it up as you go along. You'll get great tips from the people you meet in the campgrounds and along the way.
I think I can feel a road trip coming on. Enjoy!
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 07:42 PM

I'd love to be able to provide you with such a trip report. We're in the very very early stages of planning a four to six month house exchange somewhere in the Sydney area, but we need to get our house in shape a little before we proceed with the plan.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 11:09 PM

Obviously you'll want to plan your trip with weather in mind. In particular, make sure you visit the tropical north in the dry season.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Hi again and thanks for even more info. What do you think the best months are to do this kind of trip. Because we are in the interior of B.C. I would like to gone from late Nov. to March or April for sure. As much as I love the four seasons I will assure you that the winter is very long here. Wendy
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 07:08 PM

Betsy Have you thought of house sitting in Australia. We are using a house sitting service, and already have a house sit (with two dogs) in Brisbane. Great way to go without having someone in your home.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 08:08 PM

Here are a couple of additional suggestions for books written about extended travel in Australia

Drive About: A Road Trip through New Zealand and Australia by Jeff Green

Kangaroo Dreaming: An Australian Wildlife Odyssey by Edward Kanze.

I read these books before my husband and I traveled to Australia and found them to be wonderful introductions to travel down under. Each book describes the experiences of a young couple as they travel about in a camper van exploring Australia. I especially liked the Kanze book with its emphasis on wildlife, but both books are interesting reading for anyone planning a trip to Australia and especially for those looking to explore the country on their own. I found these books on Amazon and bought used copies so they were very cheap.

Sara

Old May 1st, 2007, 06:40 AM

Thanks, twoaussies, for your house sitting idea. We hadn't thought about that possibility. Are there agencies that connect sitters with travelers?
Old May 1st, 2007, 05:41 PM

We are using www.housecarers.com. Costs $35US to be able to reply to requests for house sitters. Houses seem to usually come with an animal or two, so you have to be prepared to sleep at the house at night. But it is free accommodation!!! We are getting around ten possibilities a day - some not for the right time, but at least some action.
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:59 PM

Thanks so much for posting your info, two aussies. I had googled for Australia housesitting but have no idea which agencies are good, much less legitimate. Will definitely be looking into sitting as well as exchanging.
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:34 PM

This was from someone who was doing a birding trip, but she did it by campervan and so maybe it will be of interest to you:

http://www.neseabirds.com/Australia/
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:35 PM

Hm. That link didn't work.

Try this.

http://www.neseabirds.com/Australia/ANZRoyalpage1.htm