Reload this Page >

Long flight worries with a restless husband

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 01:24 PM
Alex

My husband and I are planning to fly to Melbourne next March from Indianapolis. My husband does not like to be cooped up and the thought of a 24 hour flight is giving him second thoughts. How bad is the flight over? What is the best airline to take? Someone told me some airlines have individual TV screens and video games. (or is that just first class, which is not in the budget!) Is this true? Or do they allow laptops with games? Otherwise I need the name of a safe drug that will knock him out for the trip!!!!! Help me!

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 01:49 PM
mary

The flying time from Los Angeles to Sydney is 14 hours so Melbourne must be about the same. Door to door from Indainapolis obviously is longer. It is worth every minute. We flew coach on Air New Zealand which was very comfortable. We (husband and 2 teens) do a fair amount of long flights and never take drugs.

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 03:36 PM
graul

yes, it's about 14 hours in the air westbound LA to Melbourne and about 12 and half on your return leg (jetstreams). The positive side is the Pacific Ocean route is generally quite smooth (no tropical turbulence), although Qantas seem to have a knack of serving meals during turbulence. You could break the journey by stopping in either Hawaiii or Fiji but this will add to your travel time or reduce Aussie time. <BR>Personal video screens in coach/economy are becoming popular but are not available in any of the trans Pacific flights. Singapore Airlines have them, but the regular Pacific carriers like United, Qantas, Air Pacific (Fiji), Air NZ dont yet. <BR>I personally go stir crazy on these long haul flights but my wife doesn't seem to worry ... you're talking four meals and at least 3 movie videos in the 14 hours. re knockout tablets ...I've tried Normison and I can only say that this didn't work for me .. i even uped the dosage but still didnt work. <BR>I ve flown all 4 airlines mentioned above and all are fine .. my personal choice for the non-stop flight would be Qantas but that's splitting hairs (leg room on the old 747's can be a bit sqeazy), maybe United/Qantas if stopovering in Hawaii, and Air Pacific if stopping in Fiji. Air NZ is good for stopping over in other Pacific islands but these start to take you off the direct route. <BR>Some folks like to request the seats near the exits which have ample legroom (no seats in front), but this backfires a little since people queueing for the toilets (and just leg-stretching) can block your view of the video screen. <BR>Interested to hear any other comments??

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 06:23 PM
Kay

Hi Alex, try to get a direct LA - Melb flight as a lot of flights go LA-Sydney-Melb which adds on a couple of hours which you don't really need! Maybe an overnight hotel stop in LA might help. On the plane, they show movies, take some books and magazines with you, you can take some playing cards and use the fold down table in front of you. A blow up neck pillow helps sleeping though the newer planes have headrests that curve around to stop your head flopping about. I think you can use a laptop during the flight but not when taking off or landing but check first with the airline. We have flown Melb to LA numerous times and feel pretty ghastly after a 14/20 hour flight but it's worth it! <BR>Kay

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 12:34 AM
Ted

I can BARELY tolerate the 5.5 hour flight to Honolulu from Los Angeles (HATE to fly)! Flying to Australia from Los Angeles? NEVER!! Good luck to your husband as he will most surely need it!!!

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 09:10 AM
John

Dear Alex: <BR> <BR>Flew LA to Sydney last November. Doing it again next month. Nothing really helps! You just do it. United and Qantas have flights that leave 10-11PM. Since that's bedtime it may help a little. I prefer to depart LA at 1PM arriving Sydney at 9:40PM local time-bedtime. Works for me. <BR>Good luck. <BR>John

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 10:22 AM
WMR

Fly Qantas (or an American codeshare on Qantas); take a direct flight that leaves late LAX time/arrives early MEL time - that way you can sleep on the plane, but stay awake when you get to AUS - you'll get a little groggy as the first day goes on, but it will be worth it to be adjusted to local time the next morning; drink lots of water and no booze on the flight - it really makes a difference.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 11:04 AM
John

Alex, I sympathize with your husband. Long haul flights are a real drag, and anyone who says they can find profitable ways to spend the hours needs a referral to a shrink, IMO. <BR> <BR>That said, the transpacific legs westbound from LA that leave in late evening are good for sleeping, maybe even easier if you're still on Indiana time. Wife and I swear by Melatonin, either for the flight or for sleeping well on arrival - seems to knock down jet lag by about 50% in us - your experience may differ. It's a fairly mild nostrum it seems, but check before you gulp. <BR> <BR>Drink lots of water, take strolls around the cabin, work on two or three books, the usual. Play scrabble or hearts or cribbage? <BR> <BR>Also check out business class tickets on E-bay or Yahoo auctions. 14 hours with a wider, more reclining seat can be heavenly, or at least less hellish.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 03:14 PM
Erica

I fly to Japan from Detroit quite often and it is about 12 hours. I cannot sleep and so it really frustrates me when everyone else is asleep. But, like others said, there are three movies and a lot of food. Bring a bottle of water!!!!!!!! It is soooo dry!! I also try to bring some books. That way if one is boring or not holding my attention, I go on to another! Business class is better because seats are much larger and each person has their own tv with a bunch of different channels on a lot of flights. Still could not sleep, but it was better. You can use laptops, handheld video games, etc. except during takeoff and landing.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 06:29 AM
Alex

Thanks for all of your great advice! I'll check into the melatonin and bring lots of stuff to keep him occupied!! I'll also check into the auctions for Business class tickets. Luckily, he is a big F1 fan, and after seeing yesterday's race he is more excited about going to Melbourne's Grand Prix! I appreciate all of your input! This is a great forum!

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 08:27 PM
graul

just a word of caution ... melatonin does not knock you out like sleeping pills ..it's more for jet lag afterwads cause it's a natural hormone for circadian rhythms ..AND the jury's still out on taking doses non-natural ... playing around with hormones is risky without research .. see http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0526060822.htm <BR>for warnings on taking melatonin. <BR>I certainly wouldn't take it for prolonged periods and definitely not to get through a difficult flight ... only if you need to be A1 immediately/soon after th flight

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 03:27 PM
Marcie

For getting a good night sleep on a plane I swear by LORAZEPAM 2mg (requires a prescription). I use this on many long flights overseas and it does the trick everytime. Take it approximately 1/2 hour- 1 hour prior to when you want to sleep. You will wake up feeling great. I would not suggest taking it though on any flight less than 9 hours or you might get off the plane feeling groggy. I close my eyes and wake up there! As with all medicine, check with your doctor to make sure it's compatable with any other medicine you may be taking. I weigh 120 lbs. and I take one pill.