Search

WHICH QUANTAS SEATS?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2000, 09:16 AM
John Tizon

WHICH QUANTAS SEATS?

Dear Experts on Quantas: <BR> <BR>Mid-November wife and I will fly economy LA to NZ on a 747-400. (Our first Quantas flight!) Are those horror stories about tight trans-Pacific seating true? Which row numbers should be avoided? Which are best? We've phoned the Quantas 800 number but they're not very forthcoming on "best seats." <BR> <BR>Anyone out there who can advise us? Would really appreciate your thoughts. <BR> <BR>Thanks! John T. (for 6'3" tall!)

Old Sep 23rd, 2000, 03:21 PM
John

Dear John: <BR>My wife and I too are flying Qantas economy but to Sydney October 24. Seats 71A and 71B are way back where the plane narrows so instead of 3 seats there are 2 seats in a space normally containing 3. Seat A is a window and B is the aisle. We flew this same flight last year and was very pleased with the seating. Lots more leg room. I think rows 70 to 75 contain just 2 seats. We're returning on Thanksgiving Day from Auckland to LA. Same seats. <BR>Hope you and your wife have a nice trip. <BR>John

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 01:54 AM
Kay

John, <BR>My husband (another John) is 6'2" and we have travelled many times Melb to LA so I can sympathise with you! Be prepared to be a bit squashed. If you fly economy generally the airline won't guarantee a particular seat, even if you request one, when you get to the airport to check in it might not be available. Best bet is to ask for 2 seats together, with one on the aisle, as far forward as possible (the back of the plane gives a bumpier ride). At least then you don't have to climb over strangers to get to the loo. I think the middle four seats of the plane, if full, can be quite claustrophobic but if the flight isn't full grab any empty seats together (BE QUICK) so you can take turns to lie down and sleep. <BR>Whatever happens, you will survive and have a great time!! Kay

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 06:56 AM
jen

Qantas has the seating layout of their planes on their web site - www.qantas.com - check that out for spacing.

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 10:03 AM
Peggy

We always request 57B&C & no problem with getting it. It is the first row with 2 seats (there is no A) after the 3 seats config. There is more room between the window seat & the window to hang your legs out to sleep if all the middle rows are taken which on a less full flight are great to sleep in if you can get them. The bathroom is just a few rows behind you & a galley to easily ask for water or juice during the flight. The Pacific route is typically one of the most calm routes to fly compared to many others.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 12:37 AM
Rel

My advice: check in early and ask for an exit row. We find Qantas very accommodating and haven't missed an exit row yet (they're the ones with no-one in front of you!!)