Reload this Page >

Lizard Isle - Skytrans or Daintree??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 08:30 AM
Sheryl

We will be staying on Lizard Island for three nights in March. We have read wonderful things about Daintree on this forum, but SkyTrans is about $200 US less expensive for their charter back and forth from Cairns to Lizard. Is there a reason we should pop for the extra money and go with Daintree. This little island trip is already costing us a fortune!!

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 02:35 PM
bruce

Sheryl,<BR> You are so so lucky that you are one of the fortunate few who can spend a night or two on lizard island. Greg one of the owners of daintree is a great guy. I have spoken with him online many times. Why don't you ask him to tell you the reasons you should fly with him. I am not sure if it is just the flight why you would want to spend 200 dollars more just for the flight. We are actually going on a one day lizard island tour with greg. it is a ten hour adventure that leaves from the cairns airport at 9 am and flys very low over the reef and lands on a small airstrip on lizard near the resort. I would assume that if you are just using daintree to fly to lizard and back that you would be on the flight with people who are taking the one day lizard island tour. I have been told the plane seats six to eight passengers. Then we spent 6 hours at either watsons bay or the blue lagoon and snorkle with greg and he shows us all the sights. Then on the way back we fly over the rainforest of northern queensland. The cost for this including lunch snacks and snorkle equiptment is 225 US dollars a person. I have been told by many people on this site that it is the trip of a lifetime. but if you are just flying to lizard from cairns and back I am not sure why it would cost 200 extra dollars unless it is because it is not just a flight but a site seeing tour as well. Not sure I can't answer that. Friends of ours spent five nights on Lizard last year and said that they felt like they died and went to heaven. have fun. talk to you soon. Bruce [email protected]

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 12:26 PM
Brad

Daintree Air run PA31s and C206s. Either a very large airconditioned fast communter or an air craft with high wings for scenic flights over the reef and rainforests. Skytrans have probably quoted on a C 310 which is a small twin , neither air conditioned nor does it have high wings. C310s are a great air craft though. If you ask them to fly you in either of the air craft Daintree operate you will find the cost will be much higher. Also Daintree conduct the flights low level via the rainforest and the reef with a full commentary all the way. If you ask them to transfer you direct in a small twin you will find the cost to be much lower. Brad.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:10 PM
topping

topping

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:13 PM
Julie

Sheryl,<BR><BR>I'm guessing that the issue here is that with Skytrans (although I have done no research on Skytrans and I'm unfamiliar with their business), they're basically dropping you off on Lizard and then will point towards the beach(es) and say &quot;go that way&quot; and &quot;we'll see you back here on the runway in six hours&quot;; your basic charter operation. That would SUCK (in my opinion) because you can't possibly absorb all that you experience there on your own with no prior knowledge of the Island.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:18 PM
Julie

oops-the rest of my post got cut off - here's what else I wrote: <BR>I would pay the extra 200 to get a first class, safe, scenic flight over the reef (there) and rainforest (back) and to be &quot;toured&quot; through the &quot;bush&quot; and have Greg (the pilot/guide/renaissance man) pick off fruit from trees and cotton from bushes and explain the history of the island and the flora and fauna of the area as well as help bring in fresh water, juice, soda, lunch, snacks, snorkelling equipment, etc...guide you to where the best things are to see and point out all the diverse wildlife (lizards, flying foxes and ALL THE CORAL/FISH/ETC...) and then safely guide you back to the plane that evening and eventully back to Cairns (or whatever your arrangement). Anyway, if you're already spending a fortune, my advice is to GET YOUR MONEY'S WORTH and spend that extra 200 bucks for a million dollar, unforgettable experience! oh, and you can e-mail greg @ [email protected] for more info. please tell him Darin and I said hello!!!!!!!! HAVE FUN SHERYL!!!

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 12:12 AM
pr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we recently took the day trip to lizard with greg. we have travelled extensively around the world and this was by far one of the best experiences we have had. it was certainly worth the money - great snorkelling / no crowds and greg kept us entertained throughout the day
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-just wanted to add that if you're staying at the resort on lizard, and are in need of a transfer only (because you will certinly have time to explore on your own) - greg would certainly adjust the price accordingly. he obviously is known for his day tour, but i know he flies people out to the resort on lizard quite often as well. can't wait to hear from all of you who have yet to meet greg at the beauty of lizard!