Float Planes to snorkel sites???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have knowledge of taking a float plane to areas of GBR from Port douglas for snorkeling? Cost? Names ? Experiences. We will arrive in PD on 6/30/05. Your answer greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 12:31 AM

Sorry, can't answer the question, but have you got accommodation booked? If you have, I'm sure your hotel/B&B would be happy to advise you and make arrangements if you email or phone them.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Hi
unfortunately there are no float planes to the reef from Port Douglas. There used to be a company out of Cairns, but I am not sure if that still exists.
There is a company that offers helicopter flights over the reef or out to the reef, connecting to the Quicksilver pontoon, from which you can do snorkelling, diving and sightseeing (glass-bottom boats). You can also charter a helicopter to go to an island or a sandy cay for the day (expensive).
The company is called Quicksilver helicopters:
http://www.quicksilverheli.com.au/

I have done several trips with the company and it was always a great one. Using a helicopter is (to me) the best way to see the reef from the air. The flights are smooth and the views are spectacular. The company has a very good safety record and is very professional.
Of course helicopter flights are more expensive than planes, but it is money well spent.

Hope this will help.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 02:20 PM

amrdia - none out of Port Douglas that I know of either. Cairns Seaplanes operate daily from A finger, Marlin Marina, Pier Marketplace, Cairns. Have seen one of the planes from our own boat out at Sudbury Cay, off Cairns, only a couple of people on board with the whole cay to themselves. www.cairnsseaplanes.com
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 02:42 PM

PS, if you make your way to Cooktown, which is worth doing anyway, Marine Air has amphibious planes for the remoter, northern parts of coast and reef. www.marineair.com.au
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you fellow Fodorites as usual you all came through!! As an addition, are there any snorkel/fishing combos for the reef area out of PD?
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 10:20 AM

Hi
in regards to the snorkelling/fishing option, there used to be Hooker 2 and Aristocat; but I am not sure if they still do it. You could do it on a private charter (if you want to spend the money).
Pat, if you read that, maybe you know if those boats still operate these s/f combinations.

Old Jun 11th, 2005, 04:40 PM

Was just speaking to someone who lives near Port Douglas and works from GBR Marine Park - he says generally "no". Because of tight Queensland snorkelling regulations fishing boats are not geared to carry snorkellers, and they don't carry a "lookout" person.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Once again thank you for all of the trouble you have gone to in searching out the answers. As to the float plane. Daintree seems to offer the best trip. I will report back after july 7 return.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 11:08 PM

Hi Amrdia, We did a flying tour into Lizard Island out of Cairns with Daintree Air. We were not on a float plane but we did fly very low over the barrier reef. The views of the reef are spectacular from the air and some thing not to be missed in Australia.

We came back to Cairns over the rainforest at the end of the day.

We spent a full day snorkeling on the best reef any of us had ever seen.
We saw more fish and marine life in general
According to Greg the Pilot/Guide the beaches are the most beautiful in the country as well. You can contact them on www.daintreeair.com

If you require information on waterplanes I'm sure Greg would be happy to help out.

Enjoy !!!!

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Blake:
Thanks for your reply. I have e-mailed Greg several times. Lizard island trip sounds like a go. 6 hours on island seems a bit long?
Did you stay in PD? Any hot spots for a 44yr old married couple with 22yr old daughter?
Did you do Skytrail to Kuranda, Breakfast with Birds?
Thanks
Amrdia
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 05:00 PM
dkw

Hi Amrida

<<Lizard island trip sounds like a go. 6 hours on island seems a bit long?>>

My Husband and I also went to Lizard Island with Greg of Daintree Air last September. It was the best!! Believe me...the 6 hours flies by! The snorkeling was just fantastic. I wished we had had even more time! The views of the reef and rainforest by air are just unbelievable. Greg is a lot of fun too!!

Have a great time!