Search

Great Barrier Reef?

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2003, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Barrier Reef?

We will be staying on the Sunshine Coast in Nov but want to go somewhere for a few days to snorkel the Great Barrier reef without going all the way to Cairns-Any suggestions?
Old May 4th, 2003, 02:42 PM

You are a long way from the Great Barrier Reef on the Sunshine Coast. Some will say that you can go 300 klms to Lady Elliot or Lady Musgrave Island but they are not really on the reef per se but are rather sub-tropical reef islands.
Heron is the real reef's nearest island to the S.C and that is about a 5 hour drive and an hour boat trip to get to it.
You would be better taking a "special" flight to the reef proper if you wish to experience it. At that time of year there are great specials on which include accommodation and flight.
Old May 4th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Can you tell me which companies would have the above mentioned air/hotel specials from Sunshine Coast to Cairns?
Also what town in the Sunshine coast area would you recommend to stay?
Thanks
Old May 4th, 2003, 04:51 PM

in my opinion Noosa is the most appealing of the beach side sunshine coast towns.
Take a 4WD trip up the beach to Fraser Island.

Do a search for Lady Elliot island and lady musgrave and heron island. See what you think.

You can get a flight to Lady Elliot from hervey bay. Without getting into a geographical debate, this is the closest (and best) option to see coral reefs from the sunshine coast.Lady Elliot is a genuine coral cay.
Old May 14th, 2003, 07:57 PM

Hey, go up to Cairnes for a few days. Cheap flights thru Virgin Blue or Quantas right now, I believe. Contact Greg at Daintree Air and he will personally take you and a few of your not so close friends over for the day to Lizard Island. It is far north on the Reef and let me tell you, the most wonderful day you will EVER spend can be had up there. Worth every cent, FOR SURE. Look at the web site at www.daintreeair.com.au and see what they have. Greg is the BEST. Have fun. Deb