Search

Live in NZ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Live in NZ?

My wife and I visited New Zealand during 2007 and LOVED it! We are thinking of living there for a year or less. We have a few questions for anybody that lives there.
1) What is the approximate cost or where can I get information on the cost of a 1 bedroom apartment in Christchurch?
2) How do we go about finding part-time work in NZ? Are there special work permits we'll need?

We're both experienced in engineering and teaching, but we don't want to work "full time." We want the freedom to explore while we're there.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 06:42 PM

Main Criteria - Must Love Sheep!
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 07:16 PM

It depends on where you are from, for whilst Australia and New Zealand have reciprocal residentail rights and New Zealand also has some arrangements with Pacific Island nations, that's about the limit for just turning up.

If you do not fit into the above categories, have a look at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ for you'll need to apply for some sort of a visa for a stay any longer than 12 months unless you are a Brit (6 months visa free allowed) and Australian or an eligible Pacific Islander.

And then yes, you'll have to get a work permit if you can to go with a visa that allows for work, and it'll all take a bit of time.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 07:23 PM

I'm not an expert on NZ immigration but I would think your best options would be:

1. Depending on your age and country of origin, you could get a Working Holiday Visa.

2. Study in NZ for a year, this would probably be an expensive option but would probably allow you to work and travel a fair bit.

Here's a website that gives a few options http://www.workpermit.com/new_zealand/new_zealand.htm

The problem with work permits is that the employer needs to nominate you before you leave your country and its a hassle, so chances are, they would not be interested in part time help for only a few months.

Geordie
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 07:49 PM

A reasonably up-market one bedroom appt here in ChCh would set you back approximately NZ$300 per week. You probably wouldn't want to go much less than NZ$250 if you want reasonable accommodation.

And stormbird, we don't all love sheep. For some of us they are just good friends!
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 09:03 PM

Ha ha ha Rob - thanks for the heads up - 'some of us are just good friends' riiiiigggghhhhttttt!

What are you feelings on the election Rob? Happy/disappointed?
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 12:46 AM

Good question, Stormbird.

But, oh my, it's policital. Therefore not allowed. But as it's been asked, what do you think, Rob?

Langrobe, you can't just pitch up and work in a country you weren't born in and have no connection with. All depends on your nationality and the reciprocal agreements between your country and NZ.

You have the link to the website and I wish you luck.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 01:47 AM

It's reported that in 1916 the Australian general Sir John Monash gave high praise to the New Zealand troops who fought alongside the Australians on the Western Front. Addressing his men, he described the Kiwis as "a corker bunch - and not a sheep-shagger among them!"
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 12:22 PM

I swear, if you saw me with that young lamb last week, see is my niece!

At the risk of turning this post into a Downunder version of the Fodorite Lounge (heaven forbid!), and with apologies to the OP for any perceived hijack of this thread, I think that most NZers, me included, welcome the result. The previous government and their allies had become too accustomed to power and were showing too many signs of wanting to hang on to it at any cost. There were some pretty cynical moves made to do so which, thankfully, the majority of the voting public could see through.

Most of us are tired of the "nanny state" mentality that seems to have been prevalent in much of our legislation in recent years and the burgeoning public service that this has spawned.

What will the new lot bring? Watch this space!

Sorry about that intrusion, Langrobe.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 02:37 PM

Thanks for that Rob - it looks like we've all been swept with a new broom so here's good luck to us all!

Thanks all for putting a smile on my face - I'm sure your niece is lovely!
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 02:37 PM

Whoops should have been thanks also not thanks all.