Search

Lilybank B&B in Cairns?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lilybank B&B in Cairns?

Does anyone know if Pat Woolford is still about? I can't seem to get to the Lilybank web site and I know she used to post here. If you happen to have contact information, that would be great!
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Hmm. I found a phone number but it has been disconnected.
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 06:48 PM

Lilybank Bed & Breakfast, 75 Kamerunga Rd, Stratford QLD 4870, Australia ‎
+61 7 4055 1123‬, www.lilybank.com.au

I listed the above in your other thread, where you didn't say you already had some contact info, but now that I see what you're saying here, I can't even get the website to come up, so I guess it's history.

If it's worth a couple of phone calls to you, go to this link and ask a few of these realtors, they often know what's going on with properties.

http://www.realestate.com.au/find-ag...ocation-search
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 10:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The business has recently changed hands - see my response on your other thread, Toucan2.

The new owners will run it as a B & B and should be up & operational in a couple of months, according to my friends ( the vendors).
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 02:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Bokhara. I replied on the other thread. I had started this thread earlier in the evening while I was booking accommodation and before I had finalized our itinerary. Thanks for posting and letting me know..
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 03:26 AM

Toucan, I used the number on the link above today and it was fine. I don't know for sure, but imagine the new owners will probably keep that number if you might like to keep it for future reference.

I'll pass on everyone's best wishes to & know Pat will be very touched.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Okay, thank you. I found a number on an old bnb site, it may have been different. I'll make note of the one above.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 07:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
toucan - are you looking at staying at this particular B&B for a special reason?

As you know Cairns [for diving the GBR] is on our itinerary too, sadly not at the same time as you though, and we're considering staying in Cairns as well as other options.

if it's good place for a base for 4-5 days, we would definitely consider it.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ann, mainly because I "knew" pat woolford from these boards. And I like the looks of it and it got good reviews on Trip Advisor. It is further away from downtown (which as far as I know is a good thing, Cairns is not particularly picturesque) in a more suburban area and has lovely gardens.

If you have seen me post here you know that I am a big fan of Red Mill House up in Daintree Village. They run a pretty darned near perfect bed and breakfast and it is doable to do the GBR trips from Port Douglas and such (that's what I plan on doing). Nothing is terribly far away. In fact, I stayed near Kuranda and drove down from my reef trip several years back. (Cassowary House, very much a birding place).

From Red Mill House there are also great river cruises (we particularly like Ian Worcester) and it is easy to pop up over the river ferry to Daintree National Park.

The only reason we are going to stay in Cairns is that there are two areas for birding Steve wants to hit before we fly out and he wants to be very close by. Otherwise we probably would't stay there.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 11:41 AM

thanks, Toucan2.

i had a look at the Red Mill but a few things put me off - it's not by the ocean, it's rather out of the way for visiting the Reef, and there is one very bad review on the net. i can absolutely see its attraction for twitchers but though we like looking at birds and wildlife, we aren't fanatics. [not suggesting that you are, but you are clearly a lot keener than we are!]

this is the place that I've found:

http://www.rendezvoushotels.com/port...efault-en.html

I booked it a while ago so we've got a one-bed villa for A$132 a night, so it's a lot cheaper too.

best of all it seems that there's quite a lot of diving opportunities for DH but other things for me to do too while he's diving.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

It looks like a lovely place Ann, and lots of people recommend Port Douglas, so you will probably be good to go.

If I recall, that bad review was someone complaining about the lack of things to do. It's true that it is very, very, very quiet. And Daintree is only a small village, with limited dining. So you have to sort of do your research and know that going in.

Perfect for us though, with gracious hosts and a beautiful setting, and easy to get to the things we like to do. Plus, I always seem to have the pool to myself! We have stayed there twice, with many intervening years, and I just spoke to Trish last night and booked our next one.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 01:59 PM

Toucan2 - I think that it's a case of "horses for courses". I know that I love the look of places like that and equally well know that within an hour or so I'm going mad wanting something else to do!

we are also considering Heron Island but hoping that we can find a better priced deal closer to our departure time as at the moment its about A$2,000 for 4 nights plus diving costs, though that IS full board.

shame that our paths won't cross!
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

I know, it would be so fun to see you.

it really is true, you have to find out what works best for you. We stayed in a place in Belize that we loved, but it really, truly, was not for everyone. No electricity, two cabanas, a hostess who really enjoyed talking politics, and a howler monkey that roamed the dinner table. Not for everyone!
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 03:25 PM

Ann

Lilybank was special because of Pat and Mike.

It's out of town and a bit isolated (although buses go past the door into Cairns). It was just a comfortable, welcoming place to stay. It's nowhere near the water - although there is a pool!
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 01:06 PM

ok, thanks margo. some places are like that - not so special in themselves, but made so by the people involved.

we are leaning towards a stay in Port Douglas where DH can dive for a couple of days while i pootle about, and then we can day trip before heading back to Brisbane.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 01:34 PM

so sorry to hear of mike's death. pat lead one to believe the poodles were the main attraction but it was really the feisty stimulating and kind welcome of mike and pat. if someone is in touch w/ pat please give her a hug from me
cheers
AndrewDavid
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 02:08 PM

Thanks Andeew, I'll probably see her in the next fortnight or so & will do just that.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 04:54 PM
SnR

Bokhara, Although Pat has had so many visitors at Lilybank and helped soooo many of us on the forum that I doubt that she would remember us (Sally and Randy), please hug her for us anyway. And cheers to you as well.
Sally in Seattle aka SnR
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 08:11 PM

I am going to that area in early September-Cairns or Port Douglas for enjoying the reef?
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

I think the standard consensus on these boards is that basing in Port Douglas is more enjoyable. You can go out to the reef from either location.