Search

Late Night Snack in Sydney

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Late Night Snack in Sydney

Hello,

My wife and I are spending two weeks in Australia for our one year anniversary. We need to maximize our time in Sydney--we only have 2 days at the end of our trip--and I don't want to waste any possible dining experiences.

Unfortunately, our flight from Cairns to Sydney does not arrive until 10PM on a Wednesday. By the time we get our bags, get into the city, and get settled--we're staying in King's Cross--I figure it's easily going to be 11-11:30'ish. My question: is there any place to grab a bite or a snack at that time of the night on a Wednesday?

My wife and I are quite adventurous and would welcome the chance to nosh on street fare--provided someone knew of some Bourdain-esque late night culinary experiences to be had (on a Wednesday night) . . . .

Thanks!
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:37 PM

Ask the Taxi driver to slightly detour past Harry's Cafe de Wheels en route to Kings Cross and pick up the ultimate Aussie meal of mushy pie and sauce.
Old May 16th, 2008, 08:35 PM

Actually I remember reading that Tony Bourdain is a fast-food connoisseur and always heads for Harry's Cafe de Wheels when in Sydney. Kings Cross at 11:30 pm will certainly be alive and kicking, but a walk down Daringhurst Road may not present the most edifying of spectacles.
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:04 PM

That's why I suggested that the taxi does a very short, quick detour - would only add about $2 to the trip Neil, I would think. Then the food could be eaten in the comfort of the hotel room.
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:31 AM

If a pie floater does not appeal look along Macleay St Potts Point which is the continuation of the Cross and near to your hotel .There is always something open where you are staying .
Old May 18th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help! The rather interesting nature of the Cross seems to be a recurring theme in these threads. My wife and I live in what is described as a transitional and rather edgy neighborhood in Washington DC--home of former Mayor Crackhead. With that in mind, are we really going to see anything that will make us uncomfortable?

NOTE: We specifically picked the Cross because that seems to be the place where all the newer boutique hotels and many restaurants are going--we knew it had character, but didn't think it would be anything that would have us concerned. Oh, I'm 6'4" and 225 pounds and study Krav Maga, if that helps any . . . .
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Ah, now I now what you meant by "not the most edifying of spectacles." Gotcha! I didn't realize that stuff was still prevalent in parts of Sydney.
Old May 18th, 2008, 01:49 PM

By "that stuff" you mean street prostitution? Certainly visible in certain areas, and not illegal (as far as I know) anywhere in Australia, although there are planning restrictions on the siting of brothels.

It's hard to judge people's tolerance level for tackiness, so one has to be cautious when making recommendations. One might have the same reservations in recommending a hotel in New Orleans' French Quarter.

It's been years since I stayed at the Cross, although my kids and their friends have at various times. I think it's fair to say that unless you make a practice of investigating dark alleys you won't be physically endangered.

My then boss was once mugged in one such dark alley. Being a good runner he gave chase, and caught up with the mugger. This was unwise, as he was half the mugger's size, so all he achieved was to be mugged twice. We dined out on that story for weeks and he had to endure a good deal of speculation about what he was doing in the alley in the first place.
Old May 18th, 2008, 03:57 PM

I lived in Kings Cross for years, I always found it safer to walk around than many other areas as the crime is mostly organised!

The tacky bit of Kings Cross is the main strip from the overpass to the Fountain, either end of that are some great restaurants and cafes. Worst times are weekends. I wouldn't worry about the location, you may not even be in the tacky bit, which hotel are you staying in?

Adding to possible late night places to go: Golden Century (excellent Chinese seafood) in the city, open til 4 AM, Cafe Hernandez (snack, empanadas etc) 60 Kings Cross rd, the Lincoln (supper menu to 3 AM) 36 Bayswater rd, Kings Cros.

Old May 19th, 2008, 04:38 PM

I recall being amazed at the fact that the early morning street sweeping machines use rose scented disinfectant in the Cross. Still do I think .I agree that I have always felt safe there . Now Oxford Street is the dangerous spot and I recall last year at 5am was the filthiest street I have ever seen next to one in Naples .

calgontime Macleay Street Potts Point is lovely .A really nice thing to do even in limited time is walk down Macleay Street to the water ( or Victoria St to the stairs down to the water ) and along the waterfront and up through the gardens continuing into the Botanical gardens which wind around to the Opera House .Then catch the Watsons Bay Ferry ( lovely journey ), have lunch at the hotel looking back to the bridge and then home to circular quay . A very nice half day .
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:40 PM

ps- a fabulous lunch is to be had at Pier in Rose Bay if you want something a bit special .Set on a pier on the water with excellent seafood .Gourmet loved it .