Kakadu or Uluru in Feb?

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kakadu or Uluru in Feb?

My husband and I will be on a business trip in Sydney next Feb. We would like to extend our trip by 3 days and head to the outback. (Thinking either Kakadu or Uluru) We love nature and the outdoors, and want to appreciate the culture as well. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to which would be the better choice for that time of year, as well as any tips for getting the most out of our limited time there. Thanks in advance!

Kristin
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

I'd also like to add that I'm not committed to either of those locations, so suggestions for other outback areas are welcome. Also, I'd be very interested in a guided, possibly camping tour of a not-as-touristy area. Hope this helps!
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 08:41 AM

I think you need to check into the weather in Kakadu in February. This could be a problem as that would be in the rainy season. Lots of roads in Kakadu are apparently impassable during wet times of the year. I have heard that it is beautiful there when everything is green and all the waterfalls are at full speed, but haven't been there then. We went in August of this year and loved it, but it was, of course, during the dry winter. Most things were different shades of browns, with spikes of green. You just need to do some research on Kakadu in February before making a plan to go then.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 10:54 AM

Hi, kkraczek, lucky you getting to go to Sydney! Do you realize that if you go to either of those places you will spend most of two days flying there and back? With only three days at your disposal, that's a lot of travelling for not much touring time. Since it is summer in Oz then, both places will be hot and I have heard that the flies are intolerable at Uluru at that time. Do a search for Uluru on this site for confirmation. You might be interested in going out to the Blue Mountains nearer Sydney and stay at the Jenolan Caves. There is a great hiking area called Kanangra Walls near there that is really remote. It isn't dry outback like Uluru, but it is beautiful. Also areas south of Sydney sound very appealing. You could take a driving tour and see animals, sealife, and scenery in your three days instead of the insides of airports and airplanes. Just my opinion. Of the two choices you have given, I would opt for Uluru because it is an icon of the country and because it is near the airport. If you wanted to go to Kakadu, you'd have to fly to Darwin and then drive for a few hours to get to Kakadu. Also the places in Kakadu are farther apart and take a lot of time to get from one place to another because of small roads and the fact that you can't drive at dawn or dusk (or dark, of course) because of the animals in the road--your rental car insurance won't cover it. Happy touring!
Sally in Seattle
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 11:18 AM

Neither place is doable in your time frame and in the season that you will be here. Both will be extremely hot and I think Darwin is about 5 hours flying time from Sydney and Kakadu about 3 hours or so driving time from there. Ayers Rock is really not for those people that short of time and will be swarming with flies and be stinking hot.
I agree with Sally in Seattle about the Blue Mountains ( though that is not the best time of year to be there either.
You could fly to Tasmania and go to Cradle Mountain for a few days if you want nature and outdoors. I could pretty well guarantee that it will not be dreadfully hot there with heaps of flies and you will see wildlife. Alternatively fly to the Gold Coast and go to into the Hinterland for some sightseeing. However Queensland in February is iffy due to the rainy season, if they get a rainy season at all.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all!

I think that I may end up trying for Tasmania. I'm looking for something completely different than what can be found here in the US, but I'm not willing to suffer greatly for it!

How long a flight is it to Tasmania?

Old Nov 4th, 2006, 03:45 PM

Sydney to Tasmania is less than 2 hours but you should try and fly into either Launceston or Devonport if you are going to Cradle Mountain. Launceston would be the cheapest as you can usually get cheap flights to there but Devonport is the nearer destination - not be that much though.
Take one of the wildlife night tours which are particularly good and you will see animals.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Liz,

I'm glad that you have brought that to my attention- I assumed that we would have to fly into Hobart.

Can you think of any other areas accessible from Sydney where we could experience things unique to Australia? (my husband loves learning about other cultures)
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 04:29 PM

Why not try a 1 or 2 day trip down to Jervis bay. Great snorkelling, kangaroos, dolphins , whales etc all within 2 - 2 1/2 hours of Sydney by car.Great walks, beautiful rainforest, waterfalls etc accessible.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Wallos-

That sounds like something I would like to look into. This is South of Sydney?

Old Nov 5th, 2006, 06:31 PM

you could also consider a 3 day trip encompassing some or all of
Blue Mountains (scenery),
Mudgee (wine and country town experience) or you could go Bathurst / Orange (wine as well)
then to Dubbo (landscape - start of the outback with flat land, horizons forever and of course the Western Plains Zoo)
back via the hawkesbury area.

would be different to doing a coast trip but would give you a side that not everyone (even australians) bother to see.

another loop option could be blue mountains - orange - cowra (site of the cowra breakout) - canberra - sydney.

Check out a couple of sites if this sort of thing takes your fancy:
http://www.australiabluemountains.com.au/
http://www.visitmudgeeregion.com.au/
http://www.westernplainszoo.com.au/
http://www.dubbotourism.com.au/
http://www.orange.nsw.gov.au/
http://www.cowratourism.com.au/
http://www.cowrajapanesegarden.com.au/
http://www.canberratourism.com.au/

if you like nature - check the Nsw National parks website - you'll see how much there is to choose from!

www.npws.nsw.gov.au
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Lancefan!

I'm taking some time to let all of this sink in, and unfortunately I'm still not sure what to do. Living in Florida, I'm not as eager to see the shore as I am the red sands of the outback- but again, I don't know that a trip to Uluru sounds like a worthwhile venture. I like the idea of staying within the NSW area, as the weather in North Queensland/Cairns doesn't look promising either.

Is Dubbo/Hawkesbury far from Sydney? Are there any other outback areas that are within range of Sydney yet not miserably hot in February? Sorry for all of the continuous questions... I suppose I'm just overwhelmed. Thanks again for the help!

Kristin

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

I also have been researching the Broken Hill area, possibly taking a plane/train there and then driving... Any thoughts?