Perth for a month or 6 weeks?

Old Nov 28th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perth for a month or 6 weeks?

We have an opportunity to do a home exchange in Perth for an extended time. Is there enough (scenery, museums, interesting places) to keep us busy for that long? What's the weather like in July/August? How is public transportation? Will we need to rent a car for some of that time? Is it very expensive to fly there from California? All help appreciated is appreciated. Thanks.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 05:28 PM

Probably not sufficient to keep you occupied in Perth proper - but there's a heap to see on excursions up and down the coast. You'll probably need a car, although there are certainly some trips you can take in either direction.

September is a spectacular wildflower season.

July - August is, of course, winter, but the weather is probably like Californian winter.

Getting there: You'll probably have to fly via either Sydney or Melbourne. Australia is roughly the same size as mainland USA (but without the population) and the centre is mostly deserted. From Sydney, for instance, you can fly (Qantas or Virgin Blue) and go by train - Indian Pacific. One benefit of the train is that it does give you a feeling for the vastness of the country, and you'll see a lot of desert, bush, in the 2 or so days it takes to get to Perth.

I'd probably recommend you break your trip in Sydney, as it's another 4 or do hours, on a domestic flight, to Perth.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 07:26 PM

Margo, Is that vast center empty of individual thought like the great red state desert of the center of America nowadays?
A/D
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 05:23 PM

AD
Pretty much, except where there are singing dingoes, I unerstand!
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank, Margo for your help. Annetti
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Margo or any other kind Fodorite: how much time do you think we can manage WITHOUT a car in Perth, or in other words what's the minimum time we need to rent a car? Can we depend on public transport in Perth and around Perth? Is the driving comparable to Brisbane or tougher like Sydney? Can we assume traffic will be light once we leave Perth proper? Thanks again.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 09:50 PM

Driving is easy in Perth with a few major arterial roads/freeways. It's not a BIG city and we found it easy to navigate around. We found public transport excellent - if you are a senior it will cost you $3 per day to go anywhere in the metropolitan area. There are several free bus routes around the inner city so it is easy to get the bus or train into the city and then use the free buses to sightsee.
Fremantle has several excellent museums as has Perth. Don't miss seeing Kings Park.
There is lots to see in the area around Perth - Margaret River, Busselton and Bunbury, Geraldton, Kalbarri, Pinnacles National Park and most of all the wildflowers. The local tourist offices will tell you the best places.
Hope you have a great holiday.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:28 PM

Hi Annetti, I live in Perth. I can help you out with information and if you'd like, you can make contact with me personally by telephone or email. I would be happy to meet with you when you are here and maybe even show you around a little.

To be honest with you, I think 4 weeks is more than enough time to stay in Perth and close surrounds, particularly at that time of year. There are many places you can travel to within 1 and 4 hours' drive. If you wished to see more of the state, you could possibly use the 6 weeks.

However, if I were you, I would come later in the year, late September at least. Western Australia has some of the most spectacular wildflowers in the world and many are blooming then. Perth comes alive in summer. Our late spring and early summer is absolutely superb weather-wise. Not too hot. July and August are our coldest months, usually with cold, strong SW winds in August. That's the time most people go on holidays.

Public transport here may not be as comprehensive as you are used to. Your first week in Perth city and Fremantle would be fine without a car, but I would definitely hire a car to get around after that.

What suburb is the house you will be staying in? (I'm thinking public transport access).

My email address is: [email protected] if you would like to contact me directly.

I hope I have been of some help.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Tina, thanks for the very interesting information, especially about the weather. We are trying to make a decision. I love Australia and have always been intrigued about visiting Perth -- It is so far away from the rest of Australia. We're still trying to make up our mind. Thanks again.