Kakadu or Kangaroo Island

Oct 2nd, 2003, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Kakadu or Kangaroo Island

My husband, 14 year old son and I will visiting Australia in late July 2004. We will visit Sydney, Cairns, Ayers Rock and one more area. My husband wants to visit Darwin/Kakadu and my son wants to visit Kangaroo Island. I am at a lose, we have daily discusions over this. My husband and I have been to Austalia before, but have not visited Kakadu or K.I. We know that it will be winter in K.I. area, but have heard it is not too cold. Any comments on either area would be greatly appreciated.
Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:48 PM
Janese

There is absolutely nothing like Kakadu anywhere else in the world and so I would opt for Kakadu any time of the year over Kangaroo Island. You will see one of the oldest places on earth together with some interesting wildlife. Darwin and surrounds is a real "must do" because of where it is and the people there. It is sooooo different from the rest of Australia and anywhere else for that matter - also is World Heritage listed country.

Oct 2nd, 2003, 09:42 PM

It will have cost half a squillion dollars for the trip anyway.
Add a few more days and do both.
You won't ever regret it....

....Enjoy
Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:06 PM

Kakadu will be about 30/32 degrees celsius, Kangeroo Island will probably be about 13/14 degrees, and probably wet - does that help you make up your mind. July is an ideal time to visit Northern Territory.
Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:37 PM

I strongly second the two posters advising you to go to Kakadu. July is the ideal month for the Northern Territory.

Harzer
Oct 4th, 2003, 05:27 AM

Add my vote for Kakadu! I was there in July and found it to be an amazing place to visit!
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:12 AM

Just a quick note on "ideal" time to visit Kakadu.
The peak tourist season for Darwin/Kakadu is May - June - July. This is in the middle of the Dry Season - no rain. Unfortunately, most of the country is either dead, dying, burnt or currently on fire. The wildlife is either migrated, dead, burnt or on fire. The creeks are stagnant pools, the wind blows dust and there is generally an expectation of waiting... for something to happen.
That something is the Wet Season - a spectacular explosion of not only rain but the life that follows. Very exciting and awesome time. People say dont go in the Wet because its warmer (about 2.5 degrees warmer on average) and its much higher humidity (pushing 100% at times). They also say that many places are closed due to flooding - this is partially true - SOME roads are SOMETIMES closed to flooding - and for every location that disappears under water - ten other places become "must see" attractions because of the water ! The Wet Season also supplies the Top End with the best sunsets in the world. Im a photographer born and raised in Darwin and every year I still take hundreds of photos of the storms. Truly gobsmacking in colour and granduer. Anyway, the point is, the two seasons make the same place totally uncomparable between times. You really need to see both. But if its a once off.. dont dismiss a late Wet Season, when everything is still green and the water flowing - say March - April.
Chris.
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:50 AM

We're going to Darwin in late April and I'm really excited about it. We originally planned to go to Australia in March and had thought we'd go to Tasmania. When our plans got pushed back to April, I did a bit more research and learned that Tasmania's weather in April sounded like Toronto's weather in April! Sure it might be hot and wet in Darwin, but it does sound like a unique place to visit.
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Message: I ended up booking Kakadu. I promised my son I would take him to a zoo or wild animal park to see the animals. My husband's family loved the sound of our trip so much that we now have my in-laws (80 yrs. young) and my brother-in-law and his wife traveling with us. The trip should be interesting to say the least!!