Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Looking for a smaller dive company out ot Cairns area

Jan 24th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Hi:
I am interested in a day trip (2 snorkelers, one diver) out of Cairns. I have seen a number of threads which mention that Quicksilver is good but awfully big. I like the idea of getting to the reef and back quickly (sometimes can get a little green on the boat if there is chop), but I would prefer a more intimate experience than me and my 350 new friends....Can someone recommend a freindly, well run operator who would cater to a bit smaller group?
Thanks.
Jen
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:23 PM

Yes, Tusa Dive would be ideal - www.tusadive.com - boats are fast and well equipped - and they don't take too many people - they'll pick up and drop off at your accomodation
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:14 AM

Hey,
Just a quick couple of points: Check to make sure that TUSA Dive's "small numbers" actually equates to a number of people that agrees with you. Also, the reef is great all over (hence the "great" barrier reef.. ha ha) but gets better as you go north. Personally, I find the reef around Port Douglas better than off Cairns.
Finally, is the "diver" of the group an absolute bubble head (keen) ? I ask only because a boat that claims to be a "dive/snorkel" operation is sort of, kinda, maybe, not really accurate - your usually either at a site suitable to dive or suitable to snorkel. Hard to do both especially in terms of people logistics (divers versus snorkellers for duckboard and assistance). Anyway, just thought Id throw my ideas in the mix
Cheers,
Chris.
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:38 AM

I don't particularly like crowds either but if you are inclined to get a little green don't get on a small boat. Quicksilver is faster than most of the small boats and the chop becomes relatively smaller because of the bigger size of the Quicksilver boats. Once you are on the reef Quicksilver's pontoons are huge and comfortable. You will not get that cramped feeling you might get in a small dive boat even if the group size is correspondingly small.
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:39 PM

Jennilettuce - Tusa Dive has several modern fast vessels which take maximum of 28 passengers each. it has permits to visit 21 reefs and pick best 2 of day - weather, tides, etc. Quicksilver goes to one site which is where it's own pontoon is moored. I have been on Quicksilver on a maximum capacity day, and large as it is, I can tell you there wasn't space for another bum on the outside deck - everyone sitting in tight rows. Tusa charges AUD$115 for snorkellers and AUD$180 for 2 dives (certified divers) with full equipment - Quicksilver (with transfer from Cairns) is AUD$184 for snorkellers plus-AUD$125 for two dives - a total of AUD$309 against Tusa's AUD$180 for a diver.
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:46 PM

We went out on Ocean Spirit. About 25 passengers. New equipment. Had a great time. Check out their web site.
John