Kakadu for an 80-year old

Jan 17th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Kakadu for an 80-year old

Well....

this year the Aunt wants to go to the Reef and Kakadu! She survived Uluru just fine (but I almost didn't!) She's quite fit for an 80+y.o. - but starting to slow down!

Now...our mate Pat Woolford has been very helpful about the Reef - but I'm looking for suggestions for Kakadu.

Timing is about May.

Has anyone tried organised tours, say 2-3 days.

I can look things up for myself - I'd like some personal reports.

Thanks, as ever, to all!

Jan 17th, 2006, 06:10 PM

Yes - I did one a couple of years ago with Billycan Tours. It was a small, (16 or 17 then 9 )mixed group and included a German lady in her late 70's. An inveterate traveller, she had hurt her leg shortly before leaving Germany, and still enjoyed the trip enormously. On some of the longer/steeper walks, she either chose a shorter route (with a couple of others) or stayed with the bus while we went off.

I went in October, at the end of the dry season.

Not normally a tour person at all, I got much more out of this one than I could have possibly done without the guide. The company was great, internationals & locals, youngest 12 & oldest the lady mentioned above.

Jan 20th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bokhara - it looks ideal!

The old girl is coming down from the country today to start the planning - so I'll show her their website!
Jan 20th, 2006, 03:25 PM

Hi margo_oz,

My family and I took the 2 day Kakadu Tour through AAT Kings. My in-laws ( both 81 yrs) did just fine. They did not climb the rocks up to high vistas, but they participated in approx. 90 percent of the trip.

They also had a great time at the Reef. We chose the Quicksilver trip because they could view the fish without going into the water. Your Aunt will the visiting the reef.

Have fun! BarbAnn
Jan 20th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Hi Margo,
If your Aunt's like most country gels, she'll probably outlast you! (lol)

I've just packed my 82 next week Uncle off to Norfolk Island to look for some of the rebel rellies. Might even find a few above ground Last year he took in the Dubai & Tokyo cups & is planning a return trip to Japan next year to catch up with some friends he made when my cousin was an exchange student in Japan. Invited two of the host families out here & they had a ball, despite the language challenges.
This will be his 3rd trip to Japan, I think.

Runs sheep & cattle on about 30k acres & only hires help when there's something on.

My Mum & her sisters travelled all over the country (and NZ) well into their late 70's (none made 80).

Good luck to your Aunt - isn't it great to see these "oldies" having a ball? I've met 30yo's with less get-up-go than some of the 80 & 90 somethings I know.

The guide I had with Billycan was Wes Ellem, from Capella (near Emerald in Qld) who (naturally) knew some of my rels up there. He was just SO good with all the differing ages/personalities and in particular was very attentive to the German lady in a most unobtrusive manner. I wish I could remember her name, she was so interesting. She told me she saved madly for her first trip, which was to Egypt, just after the war, and has spent most of her money on travelling ever since.
Jan 30th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Original Poster

BarbAnn - thanks for your response.

We are actually looking at that trip - my aunt seems to think they're a reputable company. I'm glad to hear that it's eminently do-able - and suitable. Me - I've never done a bus trip, so wouldn't have a clue.

Bokhara - I'm sorry to say you're probably right about my aunt - she's much more active than I am. She's never driven - so walks everywhere. I'm afraid I'm a city girl - have car, no walkies!

I've yet to decide if I'll do the Kakadu thing - or just send her off by herself. The most irritating thing is the only direct flight Darwin-Sydney leaves at something like 1.30am - Sheesh!

I'm not sure my nerves can cope with 10 days or so of Aunt - full-on!
Jan 30th, 2006, 11:28 PM

Hi Margo,
A couple of thoughts: (1) Perhaps you could join your Aunt for just a few days. (2) If you took a small tour group, it would dilute the 1:1. (3) I do understand what you're talking about. I took my Mum to Tas for 10 days, hired a car & had a fabulous time. BUT, that was probably about 3 days too much, 1:1 24/7. And, apart from the fact that she was my Mum & I adored her, I would have chosen her for a best friend, had we not been related. Even so .....

(4) Re the red-eye Darwin-Sydney. I go to the open air flicks, then up to Pee Wee's on the Point for a very late dinner (10.30 or so) then out to the airport. Get a late check-out, or pay the extra day, have a shower etc., around 6 O'clock and off you go.

Pee Wee's is great and they're used to the late dinner gig with people out on the 1.30am.

Good Luck & just remember - this could be one of those really great times you look back on & think, "That was something special."
Feb 5th, 2006, 10:16 AM

Greetings Margo_oz

Hope you remember us from 3 months ago...There are 4 of us, my mom (only 70, wife and I and our daughter.

We took the Tusa day boat out to the GBR for some snorkeling and I mom (actuall all of us) had a great time. The weather was great, as was the crew and the boat.

We were in Kakadu last year. We took the 4 day Kakadu Arnhem Land Tour from AAT Kings and loved it. Your mom would probably be able to do all of the tours included in that package except for the Twin Falls and Jim Jim Falls. Both required lots of walking over some rough terrain. Some of the rocks you had to climb along were rough and slippery, others were very narrow. The landrover ride out to those 2 sites was quite bumpy as well.

The boat ride on the Yellow River and out into Arnhem land itself was fantastic.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn and picked up our tours from there.

We flew to Darwin from Cairns and made a short stop in Gove. We have heard that they have a new airport now, too bad. The old one was old, but very interesting. Something to talk about after a holiday!!!!

Hope 2006 is being very good to you!

Cheers

Steve and Andrea