Finca Valmy for inexperienced riders

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really want my family to get a chance to take this tour everyone so raves about. Is it safe for kids (10 & 8 -- they've had some horseback riding lessons over the years) and someone with osteoporosis?
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 02:35 AM

I took my 4 children ages 18,16,11 & 8 on this tour in Feb. I had mixed feelings about it. My 8 yr old has been taking lessons for over a year but she became very scared on this ride. They told me we wouldn't go any faster than a trot but we did canter for a good stretch on the way back. I think the fact that they rode in a pack instead of single file as she's used to scared her. We also had to ride through a mud patch like nothing I've ever seen before. We had to go through it one at a time & my husbands horse did get stuck in it up to the horses butt. I'm not telling you this to discourage you because the trip itself was wonderful I just wanted to let you know what to be prepared for so you can make an informed decision. Everyone but my daughter loved it. The lunch back at the ranch was fabulous as
well.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Oh my! Were the rest of you riders? Why weren't you scared? I'm taking a bunch of older adults who have never been on a horse. So that does worry me.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 11:31 AM

I do ride & if my children weren't with me I would've loved this ride more. I was so busy being mom & trying to keep any eye on everyone I didn't enjoy it as much. My husband & sons have only ridden a few times but they absolutely loved it. We did have another 3 people riding with us & I don't know if maybe they asked to go faster. The part I enjoyed the most is once we returned to the stables our guide started to cut things down from the trees for us to sample. The kids loved drinking & eating the fresh coconut, star fruit & a few other things including bark from one of the trees. Here was my son (11) who won't even try meatloaf eating tree bark. We were told afterward that it was cinnamon bark. It was an incredible experience. As long as no one is afraid of horses you'd probably do fine.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I think we'll try it' Did you book the tour in advance? Also, do you think it would be possible to take the tour in the morning and then drive to San Jose?
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 09:30 AM

Might be a tight squeeze, I didn't end up at my hotel til about 130pm and SJO is approx 3 hrs drive. You can make reservations in advance, just google their name & it has a contact form.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 02:26 AM

I did book our tour in advance. I'm the type who needs to have everything planned out ahead of time so I can relax on the trip.
Enjoy!
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 03:08 AM

Misha, my son and his wife took this trip with Finca Valmy and surprised themselves--they loved it! My dtr in law had NEVER been on a horse; my son had last been on one as a young teen. There's more about this if you search under my name, subject line "Kids back from CR"
In answer to another question you had (I think?) they loved Si Como No as a couple, but thought it'd be great for families, and hope to take their own three kids there some day. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much!!I'm really looking forward to it!