Search

Jervis Bay and Surrounds?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jervis Bay and Surrounds?

Hi all,
I did a search prior to posting, but didn't really find the info I wanted unfortunately.
Anyway, does anybody have any experiences holidaying at Jervis Bay or surrounding area? I'm looking at somewhere in South Coast for my family (husband and 2 young children 5 and 4 years)for holidays.

I live in Canberra, and spent all my summer holidays at Batemans Bay - and would you believe have never ventured anywhere else on the Sth Coast! Now with a family of my own, I want to find a nice destination that we could go back every year while they grow up (but not Bateman's bay!).

Jervis Bay looks lovely - any advice or accommodation or any other areas I can look into? (I prefer to stay in 4 or 5 star type accommodation)

Thanking you all in advance
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 10:40 PM

I love the south coast. It is where I went as a kid for our summer holiday or even just a weekend jaunt.

However 4* or 5* accomodation is just not part of my memory lol. Usually we stayed at holiday homes (read fibro shacks), we stayed all day at the beach and in the evenings we played board games while the oldies went to the local club for some light entertainment or a go at the pokies. I remember real estate agents down that way promising capital gain on property. Well perhaps finally that promise has come true! Some (deleted) time later!

However, so much more to do now! Go more north near Jamberoo, kids love it! Take the Cuckatoo Run steam train up to southern highlands. Go whale or dolphin watching but please !! do not spoil it all in posh accomodation, not down the south coast.

I think the best place down there is a caravan park at Kiama right by the sea. Magic and is AUSTRALIA not some Novotel.

And kids have far better and far more magical memories staying at crass accomodation than some carpeted high rise.

Old Mar 19th, 2004, 10:54 PM

A link to Blowhole Point Caravan Park.

http://www.kiama.net/holiday/blowhole/default.htm

Ten star location, the kids will love it!!
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 02:59 AM

Hello - haven't made it down south yet but look forward to the day when I do. Hear the beaches in the Jervis Bay area have some of the whitest sand going.
Anyway - this is probably a silly question - but did you try Google? Loads of listings inc: http://jervisbay.stays.com.au/
www.jervisbaytourism.com

Doesn't seem to be a shortage of smart holiday rentals which is perhaps what you meant - rather than 4-5* hotels.
Happy researching!
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Hello,
Yes Alice thats exactly what I meant regarding the accommodation (I guess I just wanted somewhere that was more "comfortable" than not - ie. clean etc). I've stayed at Murramarang Resort (South Durrus, just before Batemans Bay) and that has cabins ranging from 5* to camping facilities (the 5* isn't like the hilton by any means, and not what I would expect at the sth coast - but it was great)

I have done a google search - so thanks for that. it appears at jervis bay, most accommodation are rental houses or the like - Its difficult to know which area is the best to stay (ie Huskisson, Hyams Beach, Callala Beach etc) - as I've never been before your just looking at what is on the internet (which doesn't always reflect the "true" place)

Thanks dropbear, will check out that website.

Thanks again...
Cheers
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 02:13 PM

I love the south coast, and stay at Kiama regularly.

The caravan park at Kendall's Beach has some magnificently sited cabins, self contained, with BBQ's on the verandahs overlooking the sea. The next time someone is preparing bacon and eggs, etc., as I go for my morning walk, well...they're gunna have extra company!
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 08:16 PM

There's some good accomodation at Hyams Beach. Try www.hyams-beach.com/ or www.hyamsbeachseasidecottages.com.au/
Hyams Beach is beautiful, very quiet and ideal for families- it has a sensational beach and a fabulous general store/ cafe/ restaurant.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 11:14 PM
Original Poster

I've looked into Jervis Bay some more and I am amazed at the cost! We want to go peak season (xmas hols) and I expect to have to pay more, but this is obviously a place where they can charge. I looked at kiama too and that wasn't much different (not at just more expensive places, but the caravan park suggested is exxy considering where your staying and what you get - basically accommodation and that's it!)

anyway, i feel a little flat now, cause it looks like a beautiful place to visit, but one that I may have to put on hold till i've retired! LOL

No wonder Ozzies go to Fiji and Bali etc......

Thanks anyway
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 03:24 AM

Hyams Beach is definitely the pick of the South coast/ Jervis Bay area. I have been all over the world and the beach at Hyams is just great. White powdery sand and pristine blue clean water. But it is NOT overdeveloped, which only adds to its charm and natural state, so no 4*/5* accomodation as such , but mostly private cottages rented out from daily rates to weekly rates. Try emailing [email protected] for info. Also have a picnic at nearby Green Patch which has abundant wildlife [ if your lucky you can feed the Kangaroos and colourful birdlife] and swim at its great beach which is very safe for kids].Note. The beaches are NOT patrolled. Have a great holiday.